new to macs

Reaction score
Hi all been thinking for a long time about getting a mac so decided be for i took the plunge i would look around ebay and have got myself an eMac G4 1GHZ running os x 10.4 to try out befor i go for the 24inch iMac that i fell in love with at the apple store. so just a HI! to everyone :D i feel i'll be spending a lot of time on the forums wile i learn ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Congrats on moving to the Appledom.

Don't let the slower processor in your eMac dissuade you. The new iMacs are GREAT machines.

Enjoy!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum - make sure you get the install disk when u pick up the G4. Will simplify things further down the track.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, any idea what type of ram i should order and how much? it comes with 256mb witch i know from what i've been reading ill need to take up to 1gb min

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Here is the type of memory you need for the eMac:-

Memory Upgrades for your Apple eMac 800MHz-1GHz (ATI Graphics) at OtherWorldComputing.com

One thing G4s are very fussy about memory and high density PC ram is a no go in them. Make sure you get Apple Mac compatible low density modules and ask for a replacement guarantee.

Here Down Under find OWC the best and cheapest way to get memory. Apple dealers are very expensive.

Here are your machine specs and she will take 1GB memory in 2x512 modules:-

Apple eMac G4/1.0 (ATI) Specs (eMac ATI - M8950LL/A*) @ EveryMac.com

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks for the info. Any idea where i can get that ram from in the uk ? i've done a quick google search but cant find anything.

OP
K
Reaction score
Picked up the eMac thismorning and all i got to say is I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT have never used a mac be for have always used windows (yuk). I am suprised how quick i've picked things up and even with this low spec system it's faster than my dell. needless to say i will be getting an iMac just have to convince the other half :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Well after almost a day of well non stop use i love it even more. Going from windows xp it's like a whole new computing experiance i for one will never go back to windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
So use PC2700. Maybe that RAM is just mislabeled. Perhaps it is PC2700 ram running at 133MHz?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.