New MBP arrived damaged, now MC118 / MC026 dilemma

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a dilemma, I'm a fresh convert.. and need some help please.

I recently purchased an MC118/a, which arrived a few days later with a bezel problem, it didn't look like it was formed correctly, and the back of the bezel was catching on the keyboard when you opened & closed the lid.

The store where I bought the laptop (even though it was less than a week ago) is saying that this model is no longer available.
They are stating that I can have a MC026B as a replacement or my money back (and I could find another MC118 somewhere else). Here are my thoughts:

1: I thought that MC118 was the current version, and that if anything the other model would be the one that was hard to obtain?
2: The MC026 seems on the surface to have a much higher spec:
2.66Ghz vs. 2.53
320GB vs. 250GB
9400 & 9600 512 vs 9400 256 shared
6mb L2 cache vs. 3MB L2 cache

The only problem comes where the older one has:
*much less battery life
*No SD slot (No great loss)
... What else?? Is this still a LED screen, or is it TFT ??? As I need it for photography, and wanted the best screen possible...

Any help you can provide would be great as all the sites list give different info as LED / TFT so don't know what to believe... would love personal experience and knowledge from peeps in the know!

Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Rather than go back to the store, I would call Apple directly and let them know of your dilemma. I'm sure they can swap you for the exact same machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If they don't ask you to pay more, I would take the best one they offer, that beats your old mbp! Also, talk to Apple customer care and tell them about your situation before you go in. Usually, talking to apple care gives you better results than just relying on the apple store. Then, you go to the store knowing you know what the best possible outcome can be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
So, they don't have your old machine with lower specs but will give you a better machine on straight trade?

I fail to see the dilemma.

OP
M
Reaction score
I would take the best one they offer, that beats your old mbp! Also, talk to Apple customer care and tell them about your situation before you go in

I agree with both these points, however this wasn't purchased through the apple store, and I think I'm already paying the price, as the retail outlet hasn't got a clue if the other model has got the LED screen or not..

They are happy for me to have the MC026, which on paper beats the current base model 15" MBP, albeit with less battery... its just the screen question.. I've just been on to their so called "tech guys", who haven't got a clue either.. they suggested I look at the details section of the website, and if it isn't there, I look at the apple website.. (which It's not there either!)

regards, midnight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If their customer service sucks so bad, why don't you just return it? I would be kind of angry with a seller who knew jack about a computer and told you to go look at the specks because they have no clue! If an apple store, or if apple can ship to your address, I would just return that computer and see buy it directly from them. But something tells me that there had to of been a reason why you bought it from there in the first place.

OP
M
Reaction score
. But something tells me that there had to of been a reason why you bought it from there in the first place.

Spot on... This was around £150 cheaper than the apple store... for what seemed to be the exact same, but their sales & tech department are awful.

It appears that the MC026 is a Rev F Macbook, while the MC118 is a Rev G Macbook, but I still cannot see if Rev F comes with the nice LED screen..

Anybody know if their was major benefits in the Rev G macbook over the F ?

regards,midnight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.