Spilled a bit of soda on my ibook, should i be ok?

J

JSchultz

My **** cat came over with his tail and wacked about a teaspoon of soda on the left bottom corner of the keyboard. it didnt seep through much underneath the keyboard, but i cant be 100% positive. will i be ok? Dont want my logic board to fry or anything.

thanks!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
It should be fine. I'm the king of spilling pop in my iBook. I call my iBook the pop catcher, because I can always rely on my iBook to catch all my pop. Lucky me! Anyways, soon or later, your keys will start to stick and make cracking noise, if you don't bother to clean in the keyboard soon. Just remove the key from right to left or left to right, and it will come off pretty easily. Get some rubbing alcohol and cue tip, and start scrubbing pop off. Just be remember how the keys were removed, because they are sometimes hard to put back on. But sometimes, they go back on easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like you were lucky...

If you ever REALLY spill something over your ibook, switch the machine off straight away, remove the battery and ac power and let it dry out...

Don't switch on for 2-3 days and it should be alright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
another reason dogs are better ;)

you got lucky....i had about 8 ounces of beer end up in my pb...still works though except the 56k modem, but who cares about modems anyway :)

you should be fine though, turn it off, clean it up, make sure it is completely dry, put cat in cage and continue using!

-chris

OP
J

JSchultz

one thing guys. i took my spacebar off, and im not sure of the proper way of putting it back on, i have to push it really hard in the center to get it to work.

thanks!

OP
J

Jefe3223

Well, I'm glad the pop didn't ruin anything. Did you put the space bar on backward? 'Cause it looks the same on both sides to me, haha.

OP
J

JSchultz

Is it possible to put it on backwards? I just know that the spacebar only works when i wack it hard in the center. i want to be able to press it on the sides and work too.

OP
J

JSchultz

ok, can anyone tell me where those 2 metal pieces in the spacebar go? and how they go on?

OP
J

Jefe3223

I found this:
"there is a trick to this (similar to the normal keys). The back side of the space bar (nearest the screen) has a metal rod with C shaped ends. Make sure its sitting properly in the two outermost acceptors on the underside of the space bar. Then, align the C's under the two metal slots on the outside of the two outer white plastic key press clips (there are three for the space bar). Then use a straightened paper clip to lift the rear part of each key press scissor clip and gently press these onto the small acceptors on the back underside of the space bar. Start at one end and do all three. This anchors the back of the key. Then, you should be able to lower the front part of the bar onto the little press studs on the front side of the key presses. But before you do this, make sure the frontal metal bar aligns with the two metal slots that you slid the back metal bar under (otherwise it'll rattle and not seat correctly). Pressing down on the front part of the bar should fix it into place.
"
I don't take credit for this, but I DO take credit for finding it, hahaha. I hope wiping it off and putting it in again will work. Good luck.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

if you have an ibook...why did you start taking the keys off of the keyboard.... the keyboard is removable...personnaly i would have removed the keyboard and either soaked it in water and let it dry for about a week or to or use some contact cleaner.

you can remove the keyboard useing the tabs at the top between the F keys, there is a lock of the keyboard beside the numlock button make sure you remove your battery before attempting this. if you really concerned about it take it to your local apple tech who is certified and knows how to replace the key for you ORRR just keep fooling around with it...they are a pain in the *SS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
JSchultz said:
i still cant seem to get it. is it possible to take it to an apple tech?

Apple will not be able to help you with a negligible act like soda spilled on a keyboard. I know it wasn't exactly your fault, but Apple won't be as understanding :(

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Just don't tell them you spill your drink in it and clean up the evidence a bit.

OP
S

sursuciofla

JSchultz said:
My **** cat came over with his tail and wacked about a teaspoon of soda on the left bottom corner of the keyboard. it didnt seep through much underneath the keyboard, but i cant be 100% positive. will i be ok? Dont want my logic board to fry or anything.

thanks!

After you do all that cleaning or replacing then get the iskin keyboard cover to protect yourself in the future. I am anal about even getting dust and dirt on my keyboard and in between the crevaces of the keys. Plus it may save the letters and values from being rubbed off over time.

:doctor: Dr. Macc says an apple everyday keeps those windoze viruses away! :mac:

OP
J

JSchultz

The problem isnt about the soda at all. everything is functioning fine. i cant get the spacebar back on. i just wanted help with that, thats all. are there other places besides apple store?

OP
J

Jefe3223

JSchultz said:
The problem isnt about the soda at all. everything is functioning fine. i cant get the spacebar back on. i just wanted help with that, thats all. are there other places besides apple store?
I know...crazy people and their not reading correctly. Um, I think places that sell macs in general might (eg. microcenter [if anyone that knows what that is]). The space bar thing is supposed to be the trickiest button to put on. I wish you luck, but sometimes it's all a matter of hitting it 'till it slips perfectly into place.

(*Jefe3223 does not recomend hitting your machine in any way, shape, or form. Please make your own decisions and remember: Macs are your friends...)

OP
J

JSchultz

Ok, more bad news :(

i left my spacebar on the desk, came back, and now it is gone. I think my cat took it and hid it. i really dont like him much right now..he's probably a windows cat.

do you think apple store could order me a new spacebar ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
JSchultz said:
Ok, more bad news :(

i left my spacebar on the desk, came back, and now it is gone. I think my cat took it and hid it. i really dont like him much right now..he's probably a windows cat.

do you think apple store could order me a new spacebar ?

I don't think Apple will, but you could try this from PowerBook Medic. You may want to try looking for the spacebar first...(and think about skinning that cat ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
if worse comes to worse you can find gently used to brand new ones on ebay for next to nothing . maybe 20 -30 bucks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.