my iMac sound like a PC I'm scared

Reaction score
Well its doing that clicking noise That PC do. I have the 24 inch, 600 gb, 4 g ram. Anyways it just started now. Its getting to me. I don't use the computer for much other than music about 4 gigs, blogging, internet surfin and watch videos.

I liked it when it was silent. I switched from PC because it sucked.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Perhaps it's because the Mac is a PC. And just like any other PC, it has fans and hard drives that make a bit of noise. Now, granted Apple has taken great pains to reduce the noise, but it will still be there when the setting is especially quiet. If you believe it to be defective, book an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Perhaps it's because the Mac is a PC. And just like any other PC, it has fans and hard drives that make a bit of noise.
Yes, computers do have moving parts inside and those parts do tend to make some noise now and then.

Reaction score
What disturbs me is my external drives are really loud both are IOMEGA drives. Some drive manufactures are louder than others. I have heard the drive in my iMac a few times but nothing that concerns me. I hear about the same harddrive noise from both Windows machines I have running in my office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day jj and welcome to the forums.

Go into Disk Utility and see what SMART status has to say about the condition of the drive. SmartReporter is a great little utility that sits in the Menu bar and advises when, and if, you have drive problems.

corecode->SMARTReporter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.