Apple confirms 2008 Macbooks defective, Refuses to repair or preform recall!

Reaction score
My letter to Apple. Please spread the word so Apple can learn to value its customers.

Dear Apple customer care.

I am extremely dissatisfied with the level of customer service that I have received at your Apple store. On September 11 2009 I visited the store and spoke to a very nice gentlemen regarding an issue I was having with my 2008 model Macbook. The screen/lid of the laptop will not stay closed if held vertically. This is concerning as I do carry my laptop in my back in this position. So as I carry it the lid opens and can be hazardous to the screen if something fell in between. I presented the gentlemen with my issue and he asked if he could show it to his “lead tech” in the back. He took it and returned within minutes with great news. The issue was a known one and could be fixed by simply replacing the entire lid. This was fantastic, I was still under my 1-year warranty and I was receiving the customer service I expected from a luxury computer company. Together we booked an appointment to see an Apple genius, he informed me that they would need to take my laptop for at least 2 days to perform the repairs. Possibly 4 if the part was out of stock. Being the laptop I use for work I was hesitant but understood that it needed to be done.

On the day of my appointment I received a phone call from my office letting me know that they needed another manager to cover a shift and I was asked to go in. I had to forgo my genius appointment and head into work. A few days later I went online at apple.com and re-booked my appointment to see a genius ready and willing to hand in my laptop to get repaired. My second appointment was on September 21 2009. The day I am writing this email. I was early, as I need to head into work as soon as I was done. I was called to see a genius that asked me what he could do for me. As I pulled out my laptop he immediately suggested that the issue with the screen was due to the speck see thru case that I use to protect my laptop. Obviously this was not the case as I had just purchased the enclosure 2 days prior and the issue has been around for approximately 3 weeks. I explained my previous visit and chat with him and he decided that he too would show it to his lead tech. he returned within minutes only to tell me that there was nothing they could do!

Shocked I questioned and reminded him that I was told only a few days ago that Apple would gladly replace my screen and fix my laptop. He told me that replacing the screen would do nothing and that I would just have to be more careful with it. He then stated, as I was told before, that it was a known “defect” with Macbook's and that there was nothing apple could do. With that I quickly asked “So your telling me Apple is selling defective notebooks and will do nothing to fix a computer that is under its 1 year warranty?” this grabbed the attention of other shoppers. The genius paused and repeated, “there’s nothing we could do” How is this possible. A few days ago I was told that Apple could fix my laptop and would do so in approximately 2 days, and now I am being turned away with a $2000 laptop that will not even stay closed. I asked “So your telling me that if I bought this computer 3 weeks ago, you would just turn me away and do nothing?” he replied “well if you bought it 3 weeks ago I would just give you a new laptop” unbelievable! My product is still under warranty, I am still a paying customer and I am entitled to the same customer service that any other customer would expect regardless of the date of purchase. He simply shrugged his shoulders.

I cannot believe that this is the customer service I received from Apple. I have been a devoted and loyal customer of Apple products for years. Owning 2 Macbooks 2 iPods Nano’s and a iPhone only to be turned away when I require the customer service that has been promised to me only days earlier. Apple has destroyed my loyalty and trust and I will definitely think twice before purchasing another Apple product.

Please contact me so that we can discuss this issue further. This is not what I expect from Apple and can only hope this is not common service.

Sincerely
A.S

P.S
After speaking with Apple care for about 1 hour on the phone they asked me to go back to the store and speak with the manager, so I did. The manager was very nice but explained that despite it being a defect with the 2008 macbooks they would not fix the issue and if I wanted the lid to be replaced they would bill me for it. $800….

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
What store did you go to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Are you referring to the uni macbook or the regular white one? believe this issue has been around regarding the magnet not being strong enough to support the weight of the screen when help in odd ways. I would guess it's the uni because that's the one I have read that has this problem.Did it do it right from the get go? If so, why didn't you return it? I had a similar problem with a 15"mbp that had wouldn't keep both of the side closed when held up vertically(magnetic latch up), they gladly accepted the return, and I haven't had the issue anymore with my new one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's absurd. My next step would be to contact the Apple Care directly yet again and relay what the store manager had said. The simple fact of the matter is that the machine isn't functioning as it should and that issue is due to a known defect. If they can't repair the machine under the terms of the warranty, then they need to replace it with a model that does not exhibit the defect, plain and simple.

Be polite, but stand your ground.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something. You are allowed to open a new computer, that you are about to buy, to check for the same problem. I did that, it sure got them mad a bit, but it's your money, make it work for you! If I remember correctly, I went through 2 new boxes where both of them had the same problem...they were PUZZLED!!

Reaction score
Hey CM07451,

Were you able to fix your problem? I'm experiencing the exact same thing that when I place my MBP in my bag, the lid opens. I'm worried that it will enter out of sleep mode and cause heating issues:|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.