What kinda replacement HD to get?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here. My computer's internal HD is failing. I'm currently using an external HD and my data is all backed up. Buuuut, I need to buy a new HD and I'm not sure on the specs I should look for:

* I know I need an SATA internal drive.

* As my current HD's speed is 1.5 Gb/s I assume the replacement drive needs to be 1.5 Gb/s as well.

* I don't know if I need a 2.5" drive or if I can use a 3.5" drive.

If I need a 2.5" 1.5 Gb/s drive, I may have some difficulties -- newegg has little to offer with such specs.

Can anyone help me determine exactly what I need? My machine's specs are as follows...

MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3

Serial-ATA

Vendor: Intel
Product: ICH7-M AHCI
Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

Thanks in advance, all!

Grebo

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You need a 2.5" wide 9.5 mm hight. Doesn't need to be 1.5 GB/s the 3 GB ones are backwards compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Yep, and you can go for a 7200 rpm if you don't already have one - they aren't that pricey anymore....uses a bit more battery but is quite a bit faster

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I found this post while I was hitting google for a similar question. I'm considering a new HDD for my macbook 2,1 and wanted to ask if This Drive will work for me. I've heard people saying that 250GB was the highest capacity the MacBook would recognize, but I could not find any definitive answers.

I am sorry for the threadjack, but I thought it would be tidier to ask my question in this active thread rather than create a new one to ask almost the same question.

Thank you,

Todd

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi everyone, I found this post while I was hitting google for a similar question. I'm considering a new HDD for my macbook 2,1 and wanted to ask if This Drive will work for me. I've heard people saying that 250GB was the highest capacity the MacBook would recognize, but I could not find any definitive answers.

I am sorry for the threadjack, but I thought it would be tidier to ask my question in this active thread rather than create a new one to ask almost the same question.

Thank you,

Todd

You can get any capacity HDD, as long as it fits in the HDD bay and is SATA compliant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.