Videos in iPhoto and iMovie

Reaction score
I noticed that when I plugged my camera into my new iMac, both iMovie and iPhoto wanted to import the videos. I let iPhoto import them as both apps seem to use the same term "events", thinking that they would store the videos in the same library. But since I cannot see the video's imported by iPhoto from iMovie, I guess they do not use the same library or storage object.

This leads me to believe that I should not let iPhoto import the videos at all in order to avoid duplication of the videos? Or is iMovie really only used for editing videos, as opposed to creating a library of videos?

Am I correct? Can someone shed some light on this? -harv

Reaction score
Missing iPhoto videos in iMovies Solution

I removed all special characters (in my case ') and renamed the event names to not include special characters. I quit completed out of iMovies and opened it back up. iMovies then prompts to create thumbnails (since the event name has changed) - which I accepted. All of my videos from iPhoto showed up in iMovies. Hope this works for you.

Lemajr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.