AT&T USB modem problem with 10.6 - 64bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
I'm disappointed that AT&T and Apple aren't playing well together outside of the iPhone. I signed up for mobile broadband with AT&T because I have iPhone with AT&T and it was free to add a line. In addition, the AT&T USB Mercury Sierra 885 modem was free after rebate. Finally, I figured if any modem would be fully compatible with an Apple notebook it would be an AT&T modem. Wrong!!!!

First, AT&T Connection Manager does not work at all in Snow Leopard. I must use Sierra's simple minimal software. Second, the modem is only compatible with Snow Leopard 32 bit. In 64 bit the device is not recognizable to the operating system.

I have searched all over the internet for a solution and there is little to no information available. I have ensured that I'm using the latest firmware and available software for the device. I am also running Mac OS X 10.6.1

Please don't suggest I contact AT&T. I did. I knew more than than the rep and gave her new information she didn't know!

The funny thing about this is that the tethering hack was working in both 32bit and 64bit before I upgraded my iPhone to 3.1! I upgraded iPhone because I knew I was getting AT&T USB . I decided to become a paying customer for mobile internet access and looked what happened! LOL!

Does anyone have one of these modems? How do I get the modem to work with Snow Leopard 64 bit?

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
With help from information I’ve found at a website and a little luck I’ve managed to get my AT&T USB Mercury (Sierra 885) Modem Device to work on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard in both 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode. I’ll do my best to re-create the steps I took. I hope I did not forget exactly what I did.

The big surprise to me is that it’s working without using either AT&T Communication Manager software or Sierra 3G Watcher software. In other words, the modem device is being supported natively within Snow Leopard. Native support is known for this modem device in 32 bit mode but not 64 bit mode. I had to take extra steps but in the end it works perfectly.

For the record, I have Mac OS X 10.6.1. From what I’ve read the steps I took will not work outside of Snow Leopard unless the Switcher software is installed. The Switcher software is included with Snow Leopard and no installation is needed.

I performed the following steps in 32 bit mode.

1)First I installed Sierra’s 3G Watcher software (it will not work in 64 bit). You must ensure you are using the latest version available at Sierra’s website. Here is the link:

CalAmp+Collaborates+with+Sierra+Wireless+to+Integrate+3G+Cellular+Connectivity+in+New+Wireless+Meter+Reading+Communication+Platform%3c%2fbr%3e

After installation a re-boot is needed. I installed with the modem device not connected to the notebook.

2)Next I installed the latest firmware which is also available at the same link. Of course the modem device has to be connected. The on-screen instructions tell when to connect the modem.

3)Next I used 3G Watcher to connect to the internet. I then wrote down the DNS numbers in the profile found under AT&T in the Network Preferences of OS X. From past experience I made an educated guess that I would need the numbers.

4) I then disconnected the modem and uninstalled 3G Watcher using the uninstall feature within the application.

5)Next I opened Finder and navigated to System/Library/Extensions and trashed the kext files for Sierra.

6)Next I re-booted with the modem device connected.

7)When the system came up the device was recognized as a TruInstall disk. I ejected it and the system recognized the device as a modem. A message appeared that a new Network Connection was found ask if I wanted to apply. I did.

8)I tried to connect but I kept getting error messages. I then went to System Preferences and under Network in the HSPA profile I placed the DNS numbers I copied earlier.

9)I rebooted again with the modem device connected. When the system came up it recognized the device as a disk; therefore, I ejected it. Immediately the bars appeared at the top of the screen and the darn thing connected!!! I surfed the internet and it was fast!!

10)I then rebooted my notebook holding down 6 and 4 to go into 64 bit mode. Once again the device was recognized as a disk. I ejected and had no problems connecting to the internet.

Airport is completely turned off and I have no ethernet cable connected. I am definitely using the modem in both 64 bit and 32 bit natively without any Software from AT&T or Sierra.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.