Can I use Migration Assistant to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
I just bought a new MBP. I want to transfer applications from my current computer which runs on Tiger. Can i use Migration Assistant to do that? If not, is there anything I can do? I definitely didn't keep all the disks for all of the programs that I have on my current computer, so I'm hoping there is some way to do a direct transfer between the two.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
A safer path would be to do the upgrade but not bring across any 3rd part Apps but to download the versions specifically for Leopard. Your data should come across -OK

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a newbie Mac convert still using PC but in the process of trying to upgrade my daughter's 2007 macbook pro with upgrade from Tiger OS to Snow Leopard after replacing the HD to a 500GB from a 120 GB. After consultations and some research, I have decided to do a clean install of Snow Leopard onto the new HD before using migration assistant to pull data from the old HD that will be in a 2.0 USB external enclosure. I was told by staff at Apple Genius that if I just do the complete install first , then ask migration assistant to pull outside files, it would be seeing connections that are even using USB 2.0 (unlike during the initial install that it would only use Firewire).

I understand that pulling folders/data files like itunes and photos, documents may not be as big an issue. But what about Preference settings? Could there be potential issues even trying to pull the Preference settings from OS 10.4 to Os 10.6? If so, maybe I should just try to pull/copy the data files instead of even trying to use migration assistance (is that all automated without allowing for choice of items you want to migrate?).

The old HD also has 2004 Microsoft Office for Mac which I suspect may not even work with OS 10.6. Again, if I go the route of using migration assistant, and is able to pull that over, maybe I shouldn't even attempt to open and use it except to just delete it and get a new copy. What I dread is possible hangup during the migration process because of software issues.

Any advice is welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ccgw Welcome to the Forum. Best you use Migration Assistant to move all your Mac data from the old MBP HD into the fresh install of 10.6 on new HD. Once you have done that then download new copies of all 3rd party software that you want to use on 10.6. Then check to see if Office 2004 is OK on 10.6 and if so do a fresh install of that too. Less chance of problems that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I can confirm that Office 2004 works on 10.6 - on my work machine anyway

Reaction score
ccgw Welcome to the Forum. Best you use Migration Assistant to move all your Mac data from the old MBP HD into the fresh install of 10.6 on new HD. Once you have done that then download new copies of all 3rd party software that you want to use on 10.6. Then check to see if Office 2004 is OK on 10.6 and if so do a fresh install of that too. Less chance of problems that way.

Thank you for the help.

I gather that the fresh install OS SL on the new HD can see the Ext. old HD connected via the 2.0 USB enclosure when I go into the Migration Assistant via the utilities folder. It certainly makes a lot of sense to use new copies of 3rd party software on the new OS. Too bad with Migration Assistant you cannot pick and choose which applications you want to migrate, and which you do not.

My daughter lost the 2004 Office for Mac disc. If I attempt to have the application migrated, I wonder if the system can also get the licence key? Otherwise migration would be a moot point.

I also recently read somewhere that Snow Leopard would put incompatible programs migrated into a non compatible program folder and would not allow the running of those programs. Guess that would be a good way to protect the OS from getting stuck....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With Migration Assistant you can choose not to import anything from the Apps folder and if u think about it, it is unnecessary as the basic Apps are already in your apps folder from the fresh install and importing fresh SL compliant 3rd party apps completes your app folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.