Apps crashing, I want to re-install the OS, but that crashes too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
Part 1:

I came back after a two month summer vacation (I unplugged the computer while I was away) and I went to update the software and then the software update app crashed. I tried to report the problem to apple, but it says that the submission failed, "your report could not be sent to apple, please try again later"

I then tried to sync my iPhone, and iTunes crashed, so I tried to report the problem, and I got the same error. So I un-installed iTunes, but when I emptied the trash it said that "iTunesHelper" was in-use, so I couldn't. But then I tried to restore iTunes by taking it out of the trash, and when I tried to open it, it said that it wasn't supported on that architecture.

I restarted the computer, but the problems won't go away. Firefox works fine...'

UPDATE: Safari crashes too...
System preferences works...
Garage Band: Crash!
iPhoto: Crash!
MS Word: Works...
World of Warcraft: Crash!

I am guessing that my problem has something to do with insufficient memory or something like that? I'm not sure...

About my computer: iMac7,1, running Mac OS X 10.5.7
@GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Part 2

Okay, I was on the phone with someone from Apple tech-help, and we did some stuff, and he said I should just reinstall the operating system. Since I didn't have the disc, I went out and bought the $30 Snow Leopard CD.

I backed-up my system, and put the CD in and tried to install snow leopard.

But... then the application "snow leopard installer" has 'closed unexpectedly" CRASH.

Okay, so how do I do this? The installer crashes, software update crashes, what do I do?

I remember the apple guy said to boot it up using safe boot, is there something similar to that, that will reinstall the operating system without using any apps?

Reaction score
I would contact Apple back and arrange to get a set of original disks for your computer. Start with what works, SL is new and it might be part of a whole different problem. I think you main problem comes from the updater app crashing initially. Like I said I would try to get a set of the original disks for your computer from Apple.

OP
Jay Ray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
I would contact Apple back and arrange to get a set of original disks for your computer. Start with what works, SL is new and it might be part of a whole different problem. I think you main problem comes from the updater app crashing initially. Like I said I would try to get a set of the original disks for your computer from Apple.

Okay, I plan on calling the people at Apple next thing tomorrow, but I also have an update, and the results shouldn't surprise anyone.

Part 3:

I installed off the disk (via holding the 'c' key while restarting the computer) and the problem still exists.

/sigh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot off the disk and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.