Ran Apple Hardware Test: Error on Memory

Reaction score
I have a Power Mac G5 running Tiger 10.4.11. I have 4 512mb DIMMs for RAM. I ran the apple hardware test and the following error read- 2MEM/103/4:DIMMO/J11

so I want to open up the computer and take out the J11 DIMM. I heard they have to be installed in pairs. Do I have to take out another DIMM with the J11 DIMM?

When I look at the memory in about this mac. It shows

SDRAM J11 512mb
SDRAM J12 512mb
SDRAM J13 512mb
SDRAM J14 512mb

thank you to anyone that can help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I think pairs is correct. I would move the defective piece to another slot (swap the two) and do the test again. This will identify if the RAM or the slot is bad. Move the J11 to J14 and retest. If it finds the RAM again in the new slot location then try pulling only the bad one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple Hardware Test is not very good at identifying certain defects and should not be relied on. I would pull all four modules, clean the contacts, and reseat them.

Then download the free "Applejack" off line utility - which includes "MemTest" and use it to check the memory.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am sure at least with the faster PowerMac G5's that the memory has to be in matched pairs. What are the specs on your G5 Powermac? CPU speed and how many Ram slots?

I would say yes, take out both.

Also every time Apple Hardware Test has said my RAM was bad, it was bad. That is my experience anyway.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies.

As far as the pairs. What is J11 paired with? J14?

Here are the specs on my computer..

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

I have 8 slots for RAM. 4 slots are used by 512mb DIMMS.

Thanks again for the replies. very much appreciated!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Machine Model gave me what I needed.

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X 2) Specs (Mid-2004 - M9455LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

For sure the memory is in Matched Pairs. Let me see if I can find a diagram of which slots are the pairs. I know it's on the net somewhere. Will get back to you.

I could not find the chart Apple had but this video from OWC will show you which modules are pairs.

Power Mac G5 Memory (High Quality) Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com

Here is a page from Apple also.

Power Mac G5: Memory Specifications and Requirements

OP
T
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the video.

J11 was paired with J12 and I removed them.

So now I'm running with 1GB of RAM. J13 and J14 DIMMs.

Im gonna see how it goes. I know the apple hardware test was right because I was suffering from all the systems of bad RAM (Programs crashing, Kernel Panics, etc.)

If I still get those symptoms with just the 1GB of RAM I guess I'll replace all of it?

As far as Memtest. I downloaded applejack and Memtest comes with it but its an .exe file. How do I run it?

Thanks again guys!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as Memtest. I downloaded applejack and Memtest comes with it but its an .exe file. How do I run it?

:) You can't run a Windows executable that's for sure. See the following MacWorld article: Link You actually need to run "memtest" from the AppleJack advanced menu. The OS X (Unix) version is included.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.