Quicksilver Issue

Reaction score
Please help. My quicksilver g4 is running on leopard just fine but it will not recognize any disc i load. I put in a new drive, sill nothing, now i have a dual drive g4 that won't read any discs. I need to reinstall some software.
let me know what i need to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Take it you mean you installed a new optical drive and not another hard drive? If so, the power leads on these models are really, really difficult to remove and reconnect. You say a 'dual drive' G4. If you now have two optical drives installed, did you set the second up as slave?

What does Apple System Profiler have to say about the optical drive/s?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please help. My quicksilver g4 is running on leopard just fine but it will not recognize any disc i load. I put in a new drive, sill nothing, now i have a dual drive g4 that won't read any discs. I need to reinstall some software.
let me know what i need to do

Depending on what sort of drives we are talking about here (hard drives or optical drives)...give this a read, and maybe it will help:

Power Macintosh G3 and G4: IDE Master and Slave Support and Configuration

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Optical Drives

Thanks Guys. They are both optical drives and both of them will not read media. I did not set one up as a slave drive, I'll do that tomorrow, since the machine is at work. The g4 did have 1 drive in it, It did not read so I bought a new one, exchanged it and it did not read. So I put both of them in. Apple's system profiler can recognize the drives and tells me all the info on it but that's it, no media recognition. I wonder if there's something wrong with the bus, but then again why would it see the drives but not read the discs.I don;t know, please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Perhaps the initial optical drive has failed. They do fail. Try removing it and setting new drive in its place, making sure it is set up as master.

Reaction score
Are these new Disc as in type of media. I have a new stack of memorex that want burn in an external CDRW. Is the IDE ribbon pushed on all the way same with the power plug.

OP
E
Reaction score
did all that

I did buy a new drive and installed it its predecessor's place. like I said the computer is seeing it, it just won't read any media. the 2 plugs are pushed all the way. I don't know what it is, it definitely got me confused.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure what your issue is since the drives are showing up in System Profiler but one thing I am curious about. You say it's a Quicksilver G4, but they had only one full sized optical drive bay. The other is for a Zip drive. How did you get two full sized Optical drives in that machine? Unless it's a MDD (Mirror Drive Door) and not a quicksilver.

If you try one optical drive it still will not read the CD/DVD? That is strange. What brand and model are the drives? Just curious. I have a Quicksilver with 10.5 and the optical drive works great. I know Macs are picky with some CD/DVD drives as far as say burning, but it should read a CD/DVD.

Did you try Cable Select by any chance? I had an old Yikes that only seemed to work if it was set to Cable Select for some reason.

OP
E
Reaction score
2 mirror doors

I don't know, I was told it is a quicksilver g4, and yes it does have the 2 mirror doors in front. It does have 2 bays for the optical drives. It does not matter how many drives I put in, it won't read any. I tried either bay with either drive, nothing on the reading aspect just the recognizing in system profiler. They are both Pioneer drives. One of them is the original one that came with the machine and the other one I just purchased to replace the original one, but it does not seem to be the drive, since the new one does not read either. This is a new one for me, usually a component goes out you replace it and up and running you go. I'm not familiar with cable select, pleas advise.
Thanks

Reaction score
I don't know, I was told it is a quicksilver g4, and yes it does have the 2 mirror doors in front. It does have 2 bays for the optical drives. It does not matter how many drives I put in, it won't read any. I tried either bay with either drive, nothing on the reading aspect just the recognizing in system profiler. They are both Pioneer drives. One of them is the original one that came with the machine and the other one I just purchased to replace the original one, but it does not seem to be the drive, since the new one does not read either. This is a new one for me, usually a component goes out you replace it and up and running you go. I'm not familiar with cable select, pleas advise.
Thanks

The drive has jumpers on the back. They are set for how you plan to use the drive. Master,Cable Select or Slave. Some computers are prefer master but some for some IDE control reason like Cable Select. If you have more than one optical drive hooked up one should be master the other slave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.