no sound from headphones

Reaction score
I seem to have changed one of my settings but i cannot find out how to change it back. I usually use my headphones whenever there is sound, and they were working just fine. Until they randomly weren't working, the headphones were in nice and secure but the sound still comes out of the computer itself. I have gone to system preferences and changed everything in sound that i could but nothing works. How do i get the sound to start coming through the headphones again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try another set of headphones. If they work, the other ones are probably no good. Hope they aren't new. Unless... maybe you could take/send them back.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have actually tried three sets of headphones already, they all don't work the same way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then perhaps you have a hardware issue. It was working, then all of a sudden, no sound. That's a common mode of failure. Maybe something is no longer connecting on the inside.

OP
F
Reaction score
well it didn't stop mid sound, just one day it worked and the next it didn't. I have the mac book pro so it is pretty new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
If you look down the headphone jack, do you see a red light coming out of it?

Reaction score
me too...

I have the same problem... it worked perfectly and suddenly, it didn't... I used to hear some noise in the headphones when connecting them and now I don't hear it anymore... the mac book pro is 1 month old... did you find a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then perhaps you have a hardware issue. It was working, then all of a sudden, no sound. That's a common mode of failure. Maybe something is no longer connecting on the inside.

If you look down the headphone jack, do you see a red light coming out of it?

no, it is dark.

It's looking like my previous diagnosis is correct. No light, no connection. Something inside the Mac is broken. You might want to try taking it to an Apple Store to have them confirm that, then fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.