Problems With Mac Pro Optical Drive? Battlefield 2142

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8
Hi all

I have a 2008 mac pro, fitted with the standard super drive. it started playing up a few weeks back just with my Battlefield 2142 dvd (Did not recognize the DVD), so with the disk being a bit tatty I went out bought a new one, get home and had the same problem??
So i read up on some forums and saw that the 'not so' super drive is a bit crap so I bought a LG optical, bad idea didnt work at all. I returned this and put an optical drive in from my old PC this works fine and shows up as having the Battlefield DVD in it, i then try to start the game and is says please insert the DVD even though the real copy is in the drive and the Disk image is showing up!!

So i needed to get an external DVD drive so I hooked that up to my mac and this reads the Battlefield disk and allows me to start the game but about ten seconds into it loading the game just shuts down!! *** this is really confusing me as to what the problem is!

My next though is....the games a bit old now is it compatible with 10.5.8?
Are my Monitors to low rez cause it seems its almost shutting down due to the graphics being to slow (Although not the graphics card cause Ive played the game with this set up B4)
The graphics card firmware is up to date too...

Really running thin on ideas, please can anyone help

Heres my spec:
OS X 10.5.8
2x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 800 MHz ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Running two monitors at 1400x900 60 Hz
External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (LG)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz Ram, 1Tb, OSX 10.5.8
Please can someone help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.