how to stop preview opening my psd files

Reaction score
Hi, just put my psd files from pc onto my new mac but I dont have the photoshop blue icon representing the filetype. When i open it it opens in preview not photoshop. I have found I can select "open with" "other..." and select photoshop but then this gives me the blue ps icon on that file only, how can In shut off preview so I can open my psds as normal. Many thanks. sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hi Sam,

Here's what you need to do...

1. Find a .psd file and right click > get info

2. once the info panel pops up look down it until you see a section called open with, under here should be a drop down list of selectable programs.

3. Select Photoshop from the list.

4. under the list there is a button called Change All, if you press this OSX will change permissions so that all files ending in .psd will open directly in Photoshop. (see attachment)

This can be done for any file type, I was getitng annoyed with .jpg's I had created in Photoshop opening in Photoshop so I did this to make all my .jpg files open in preview.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,

Chris

Screen shot 2009-09-21 at 13.36.23.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, files are opening fine now, half my psds show a image as icon a nd some show the blue ps logo, dont suppose you know how I change all to show ps logo so I can quickly see them as ps files, thanks again, sam

OP
S
Reaction score
aha just found it! right clik inside folder-show view options, turn off show icon preview.

Reaction score
can someone tell me HOW to get to the "get info" portion of adobe photoshop cs4? i've tried the command, and it doesn't work. file info gives me alot of stuff that i don't need. and the control + click for the right click is not getting me anywhere. i just upgraded to cs4 and a new mac pro and i would like for photoshop files to open in photoshop and not preview. it's driving me mad so any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.