Which MacBook should I choose?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wish know which is the best mac book, I don't do anything important on web, I just like to watch youtube videos and chat on msn, that's all a friend of mine just bought a Macbook air for me, but she asks if I want to trade it for another Mac, I don't like the gray design so far and I'm thinking about change to the Macbook white, what you guys think about it? btw I have never used Mac before but I like to learn new things, thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The white Macbook sounds like exactly what you need, though I have to say that the trackpad and screen pales in comparison to those on the Macbook Pro's.

Reaction score
You have to realize though that youtube does tend to hog a lot of CPU & GPU speed, so you can't be running too much background apps.

But other than that, the MB White is a great machine.

Good luck on your choice:)

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the reply, she already bought me a Macbook air, but I don't know if I should trade it for a Macbook white, isn't the MacBook Air faster and better than the white one? I'm really confuse, I don't know what to do, some say that I should choose the Air and some say that I should choose the white, ****.. but If someone has bought a Macbook air for you, would you trade it for another thing or get a Macbook white and more ipods and iphones? thankyou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It depends on what you want to do with it. Maybe you should compare models here and figure out which one has specs that are more appropriate for your needs.

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart

The Air has no CD/DVD drive, Firewire ports or card slots, so if you want to watch movies, burn cd's, import video footage or pictures from a digital camera, you'll need peripherals for all those things. It's also got a slower, smaller-capacity hard drive. There is one speaker for mono (not stereo) sound, and the RAM is soldered to the motherboard. So it sacrifices a lot of features for the sake of ultraportability and is probably best for cloud computing. Do you really need your notebook to be THAT portable that you can actually do less with it than a white Macbook? If you ask me, the Air is WAY overpriced for it's capabilities and you're really paying for the super skinny design and portability.

OP
W
Reaction score
I don't travel that much, I just hang out sometimes but I don't take my computer with me, So reading a lot I think i should choose a MacBook white? Its 900 in the store that she bought and she paid about 1400 in the macair, but I'm just confuse what I should do, I'm Brazilian and she will send me via fedex, A macbook air is about $ 6000 here, and a Macbook about $ 4000, what you guys think I should do? maybe get the air and sell it here and buy a Macbook white? or I should tell her to change it and get a white and an iphone too? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I don't know how easy Apple stores are to find in Brazil, I'd ask her to get you the white one instead. That way, if she can't work it out you can still try to sell the Air and get the white Macbook yourself. I definitely think you'd get more use out of the white Macbook. If you like the looks of the Air, maybe you can exchange it for the 13 inch Macbook Pro, which is slimmer than the white Macbook (but not as slim as the Air) and has the sleek aluminum looks of the Air. It also has a nicer screen and trackpad than the white Macbook. It's a little more expensive than the white Macbook but MUCH cheaper than the Air.

Personally, I'd never buy an Air. There are too many issues with it for the price. From Wikipedia:

"The MacBook Air has been criticized for having a price premium compared to other notebooks of similar or better specification.[23] The flip-down hatch is a tight fit for some headphone plugs and USB devices, requiring users to purchase either a powered USB hub or an extension cable.

Lacking FireWire, the MacBook Air does not support Target Disk Mode, which would have enabled it to be used as an external hard drive for quick data transfers or operating system repairs.

Several MacBook Air users since the release of the first-generation product have complained of severe overheating causing CPU lockup. The effect can be seen at CPU temperatures as low as 66 degrees Celsius and worsens with higher temperatures...

Some users of the first revision have found that the plastic holding the right hinge cracks under normal use, making the notebook nearly unusable. Additionally, there has recently been a "blanket rule" sent out by Apple to its stores around the world which says that the hinge breaking is caused by "user damage", despite a number of cracked and snapped hinges on the Rev A laptop. Therefore, the expensive replacement of the hinge (ergo, the screen as well) is at the user's expense and is not covered by the warranty."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.