51% original battery capacity with mbp little over 1 year old

Reaction score
I have a mbp a little over a year old with 60 battery cycles and I see in the "about this mac" that is says, "Check battery" and while running on battery it seems to go down sort of fast. I got coconut battery and it says I have 51% original battery capacity. I thought it took 3 years to get that bad. Did I get stuck with a whacky battery or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Have you calibrated it at all? The battery should be calibrated once a month or so, and I find that after it's done it gives a more accurate reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
I have an 11 month old MBP and the battery has 236 cycles and 97% health. It sounds like you have left it connected to the charger and rarely used the battery. Try calibrating and let the battery completely discharge every other week on a regular basis. The damage may have been done but it's worth a try to recover it.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I calibrated it, but it still says check battery, and "51% original battery capacity". And yes, I usually have it plugged into the charged. I don't use it on battery power very much. But I thought the more you used the battery, the lower the health goes down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
No, you need to use the battery regularly.

As an example, my mom has an iBook that was new in 2004. It is still on it's original battery and has 96% capacity still. She uses it almost entirely on battery power and just plugs it in when she isn't using it. Amazingly, this five year old computer's battery still lasts three and a half to four hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
I calibrated it, but it still says check battery, and "51% original battery capacity". And yes, I usually have it plugged into the charged. I don't use it on battery power very much. But I thought the more you used the battery, the lower the health goes down.

Nope. I have used my battery very often, (discharge completely about 1-2 times a week, maybe more) and I've had it for over 2 years with 482 cycles put through it and it's at 70% health.

You have to take care of your battery if you expect it to last long. And that means taking it off the charger and discharging it AT LEAST twice a month. That will ensure you get the most out of your battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It still sounds like it should be a LITTLE more than 51% after a year. It's supposed to be around 80%, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
It still sounds like it should be a LITTLE more than 51% after a year. It's supposed to be around 80%, right?

I've had friends' laptops' batteries last about 10 minutes when it's less then a year old. It doesn't matter about the brand or anything... It matters how well you take care of your battery, and in order to take care of it, you have to use your laptop as it was desined and drain the battery every so often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.