OS discs confusion

Reaction score
Hi
Can someone help me find the right discs to upgrade my eMac G4 (700mhz PPC running 1GB Ram.)from 10.3.9 to 10.4 . I am not sure just how late OS it can run but I have bought 2 sets discs off ebay which just will not run. What seriel numbers should I look for. Even better has anyone got some I could buy? thanks steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It can run Tiger OS X.4. It is very important you purchase a full retail install version ONLY. Does the eMac have a DVD/Combo reader as Tiger on CDs, about five of them from memory, are as scarce as hens teeth.

Do not under any circumstances buy a so called upgrade or system restore disc. Some dealers also call them 'drop-in' DVDs. They will not work. No doubt the silver/grey discs are what you have already purchased and they simply abound on auction sites like eBay. Full install disc will run about $70-$100 still.

Shame you never asked first.

Similar problem here so check this post out and have a good look at Collin's photo of the full retail install DVD:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/151029-upgrading-10-4-os.html

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes you are right. eBay was full of them and I paid £36. Thank you and i will now check carefully before I buy
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well stevesemac, all part of living and learning. Take a photo of them and try to sell as system restore discs on eBay yourself, quoting the serial numbers etc. Somewhere someone will be looking for precisely what you have.

Stay with the forums as there is a lot of eMac info here from time to time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.