My headphone jack broke off and it's stuck in my Macbook

Reaction score
The tip of my minijack got stuck and is lodged in my headphone jack of my macbook.

I called the mac service center where I live, In Korea, and they immediately said that it would need a new mainboard. Cost, about $600 USD.

I know that's not accurate. I am wondering if I should attempt to take my computer apart myself and take it out.

Anybody have any insights?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is a common problem - tip of the jack breaks off and is lodged in the female connector which is attached to the main board. Replacing the main board is one way - but it's drastic and expensive.

I suggest you first do a search in this forum and other Mac forums to see how some have solved the problem and removed the broken tip.

If you would like to take your machine apart yourself, the best step by step instructions are found on the iFixit site. LINK

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It is not clear on the Macbook page of that site what operation I need to perform to take it apart to get to the headphone jack. Any idea?

This is a common problem - tip of the jack breaks off and is lodged in the female connector which is attached to the main board. Replacing the main board is one way - but it's drastic and expensive.

I suggest you first do a search in this forum and other Mac forums to see how some have solved the problem and removed the broken tip.

If you would like to take your machine apart yourself, the best step by step instructions are found on the iFixit site. LINK

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look for the step by step instructions on how to change the Logic Board. That should keep you busy for awhile. :)

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, that would keep me busy for awhile. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that it will be time well-spent, as removing the logic board doesn't expose the headphone jack. It appears that there is some metal casing around the jack enclosure. I'm not at all confident that taking out the logic board would enable me to take the tip of the headphone jack out without breaking the logic board.

So far the two options I have heard are:

-replace the mainboard. ($600).
-spend a couple hours removing the logic board, which doesn't expose the headphone jack.

I've read the other methods on this forum that describe trying to extract it. I've tried everything imaginable.

Does anyone have any other ideas? What should it cost if I got a repair person to do this?

Look for the step by step instructions on how to change the Logic Board. That should keep you busy for awhile. :)
av
Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
How deep is the broken part? Maybe get something metal that can fit in there, apply jb weld to the end of it (not too much, just enough to join the pieces together) then wait overnight and pull.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here is the best advice that I think of! My friend just went through this same thing. We were sitting there, in his kitchen, thinking of how we could get it out, when I looked at his kitchen's door handle, I noticed it had gotten repaired with JB Weld. So, I got a paper clip, dabbed on just a tiny, tiny speck of JB W on the tip of the paper clip, and inserted it in the jack, making sure it didn't touch the edge. I kept it there until it dried. Then I cleaned it with a q-tip, and in no time, it was just like new! $600 bucks...hahah...what a joke! I bet they would do something similar to what I said and then resell it! Good luck bud!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
errr....did you read my post 2 up from you, or the one right above you?

Reaction score
same problem

Hello. I have the same problem and have tried everything and not been able to extract it. Applecare does not cover the repair because they consider it to be the consumer's fault. (Though, is it just me, or does this only happen to macs.)

Anyway, my question (because I don't want to pay $750 for a new logic board) is will a USB sound card convertor or USB headphones work even with the piece stuck in the headphone jack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it doesn't only happen to macs, I've seen headphone jacks broken off in stereo's, walkmen, other laptops...

now, I'd ponder a bit of cyanoacrylate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
any hardware store. just don't glue yourself, or anything else, to your macbook.. or yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
If it were me i would try the glue idea. Just be careful to not get it on the computer. a little bit of a good glue will go a long way.

Reaction score
like many people has mentioned, I would try the method that using glue, but try to use super glue. I have never met this situation but I know super glue, it is very strong one and I think it can help you save 600$. Just to be very careful when you "play" with super glue coz if it mess up around the headphone jack, even just a little, then you might screw up.

I hope you can try this method and good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
When it happened to me with my old gateway I took it to the hardware store found a metal screw that just fit , screwed it into the nub and pulled it out with pliers.

Hope this helps.

Ps it's not nice to snap at people trying to help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Do you seriously need to leave feedback about that?? I wrote my experience, so what if it happens to be similar to yours??? I'm sure reading more than one experience of a way to fix something is better than having only one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.