External HD, not mounting but shows in Disk Utility

Reaction score
Hi there,

My external HD doesn't mount anymore. Its visible in Disk Utility but, all the options are grayed out.
How did this happen:
One day i deleted the Windows installations folders from the HD, so i wasnt able to mount the HD on windows, but i was able to on my mac. So i used Disk management to try and open it, without knowing what exactly to do.

Now my HD wont even mount on my mac, and i surfing all over the internet to find a solution. I made a scan with Data Rescue II which just found megabytes out of gigabytes i had on the HD. I also read about Disk warrior but did not try it yet, since i dont know what exactly is the problem.

These are the info about the HD from Disk Utility, dont know if they help.

Name : Maxtor OneTouch Media
Type : Disk

Partition Map Scheme : Apple Partition Map
Disk Identifier : disk1
Media Name : Maxtor OneTouch Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : USB
USB Serial Number : 2HAP8HV9
Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/EHC2@6,1
Writable : Yes
Ejectable : Yes
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
Total Capacity : 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 Bytes)
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Disk Number : 1
Partition Number : 0

Any suggestions?
:Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Data Rescue II was only able to find several MBs of data on the drive which has as you say - GBs of data on it, the drive may be failing or may have already failed.

Usually a drive that won't mount in OS X has a problem. Since the drive is using an Apple partition map, it's not likely that you're going to be able to mount it from Windows although the Windows Disk Management utility should still be able to "see" it.

Unless the data on that drive is critical and you need it badly, it might be time to replace it.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well the data is kinda critical.
I will replace ofc, but i was wondering if i should hope
for recovering my files.

Btw the Data Rescue scan i performed was through the demo version, which if i read correctly, its not accurate enough.

thanks.

Reaction score
I have the same problem!!!….Mine crashed . I’m now just booting my mac from an USB drive and when I look under Disk Utility, I see my HD, but cannot be mounted.

So I went online and after some research bought DiskWarrior for $100 USD!!! **** it!! Ran it and freezes the computer….tech guy told me to restart…..…… can’t even find the HDD now….

What to do??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.