Emac, won't start

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post of this sort so i apologise if this is in the wrong thread or anything.

I have a problem, I have two emacs, one died. The one remaining had no dvd drive so I took the one out of the dead emac and put it into the emac that works.

I put the case back on, screwed in and tried starting it up. However, nothing is happening. I opened it back up and everything is connected fine. The power lead is connected to the casing inside.
When I press the power button at the side it clicks once and that's it.

Is it fixable? Please help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did the one "working" eMac work ok (except for no DVD drive) before you installed the DVD drive from the "newly" dead eMac?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it did, it worked fine

Not sure if you knew...but one thing to REALLY be careful about when removing the case of the eMac, is after you remove the screws only lift the case a few inches & disconnect the wire that goes to the "power button".

If after removing the screws, if the case is just immediately lifted right off...the wire to the power button can become disconnected or worse, damaged or broken.

Hopefully his didn't happen,:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, i think i disconnected it ok.
If it was damaged is there a way of being able to see if it was?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, i think i disconnected it ok.
If it was damaged is there a way of being able to see if it was?

The only way to check is to carefully remove the case and take a look!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you press the power button nothing happens? No sounds from the machine?

One way you can check the power button is if you have a small meter. Check it for continuity when you press the button. If that wire is pulled too hard it could break or a wire come off at the switch end.

OP
G
Reaction score
Nothing, no big sounds from the machine, the hard drive doesn't start up or anything. There's a small click noise from where the power button is as if it's about to boot then its gone.

OP
G
Reaction score
I just checked it again. Looking at the mac from behind I see that when I press the power button the fans spin, but then cut out straight away.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, well it looks ok to me.

May have to accept this one is also dead!

Well if this eMac #2 worked fine before you installed the DVD drive (from the dead eMac #1)...then it should still be ok.

Maybe you should remove that DVD drive...and then see if the "working" eMac will startup.

If this 2nd working eMac was fine before you installed the DVD drive..and then it didn't work after installing the DVD drive...then either the DVD drive is causing a problem...or the power switch got broken or the wire to the power button got messed up with all of the assembly/disassembly.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked it again. Looking at the mac from behind I see that when I press the power button the fans spin, but then cut out straight away.

Ok...that helps quite a bit. If you're getting "signs of life" when you press the power button...then the power button is fine.

The only thing left is that DVD drive you installed. I would say remove it, then try to start up the eMac. Maybe that DVD drive is causing some sort of problem.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, tomorrow I'll take the drive out and replace with the cd one.
Hopefully it'll work!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.