upgrade to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I see that Snow Leopard is 29$ I have Tiger 10.4.11

Do i need regular Leopard to upgrade to Snow?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The short answer would be yes. Next time google. >_<"

OP
A
Reaction score
Ive found countless wrong information from places, I just assume ask here and get the right info.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As per section 2C of the OS X EULA (emphasis added): "If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ive found countless wrong information from places, I just assume ask here and get the right info.

It's not that you found "countless wrong information"...you may have found information that may be in conflict with the Apple EULA statement that "Vansmith" quoted in the post above.

The bottom line is to be in compliance with the Apple EULA:

1. If you have an original retail copy of Leopard, or the grey/silver "recovery" disks that came with your computer (if it's a newer computer that came with 10.5 on the recovery disks)...than all you need it the $29 dollar Snow Leopard update disk.

2. If you do not have any original Leopard install disks...then you're supposed to purchase the Mac Box Set for $169 to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
I think Tiger is still a good OS for any Mac, though still I prefer Leopard and Snow Leopard (thought the problems I've been reading about here on SL is beginning to annoy me a little).

OP
A
Reaction score
It's not that you found "countless wrong information"...you may have found information that may be in conflict with the Apple EULA statement that "Vansmith" quoted in the post above.

The bottom line is to be in compliance with the Apple EULA:

1. If you have an original retail copy of Leopard, or the grey/silver "recovery" disks that came with your computer (if it's a newer computer that came with 10.5 on the recovery disks)...than all you need it the $29 dollar Snow Leopard update disk.

2. If you do not have any original Leopard install disks...then you're supposed to purchase the Mac Box Set for $169 to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

So in theory I can by the 29$ disk and not the $170 set.

OP
A
Reaction score
bam

$29 Snow Leopard retail disc will install over Tiger

As many have speculated, Apple has added no technical limitations to the install process to prevent the $29 standard Snow Leopard disc from installing on a Mac running Tiger. The information was confirmed in an early review of Snow Leopard by All Things Digital's Walt Mossberg published late last night. "Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140" over the Mac Box Set, Mossberg wrote.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, but it has also been noted that Mossberg neglected the EULA. Despite any lack of technical limitations, you're still violating the EULA which you agree to by installing OS X.

does that mean i cant get updates? or not.

Seems like it would be the same as driving a car without insurance. :Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's against Apples EULA, the same EULA that just got rulled on in court with Apple Vs Phystar and Apple won that part of the lawsuit.

That is all that we will say on the matter, it's against Apples EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ethics aside, you can do whatever you want. You may even do so and not be sorry.
But, you are sorry, in another sense, if you do. And, if you get caught, you will be in the other sense.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ethics aside, you can do whatever you want. You may even do so and not be sorry.
But, you are sorry, in another sense, if you do. And, if you get caught, you will be in the other sense.

but once installed how could you ever show you did or didn't have 10.5?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.