Major problem with my Macbook Pro...

Reaction score
Just decided to do a software update on my macbook pro 17". Clicked okay, and it went to the "writing files" screen (with the aurora background). Once that finished however, I got a message saying that the security, javascript and iTunes updates couldn't be completed. I clicked okay since i couldn't do anything else.

My problem is that when it restarted, it gets to the white screen (with grey apple) and then shuts down again. Its stuck in a continuos restarting loop.

Any help would really be appreciated!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you tried "booting" your MBP from a Mac OS CD or DVD?

- Nick

Reaction score
haven't tried that yet no. Do i just insert the cd/dvd?

EDIT: is the install disc the same as the recovery disc?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
∞Mac_13;910830 said:
haven't tried that yet no. Do i just insert the cd/dvd?

EDIT: is the install disc the same as the recovery disc?

Yes...I'm referring to any disk you have that is an install disk for the OS...including the recovery disk.

Just insert the disk, and press the "c" key on startup.

The point of this test is to see if your computer is working ok...and if it will startup ok from the disk.

If it starts up ok...then the problem may lie with the OS on the hard drive, or the hard drive may be faulty.

- Nick

Reaction score
k I'll try that. Thx for your help btw. :)

EDIT: Okay so i tried that and it worked! I got to the language preference screen. Now I don't want to continue because I'm worried that this will wipe my harddrive. Will this be the case??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
∞Mac_13;910844 said:
k I'll try that. Thx for your help btw. :)

EDIT: Okay so i tried that and it worked! I got to the language preference screen. Now I don't want to continue because I'm worried that this will wipe my harddrive. Will this be the case??

Most folks recommend backing up before installing or reinstalling the OS...but to be very honest I have installed the Mac OS many many times over the years (23 years to be exact)...and I have never had a problem.

See what happens when the OS is reinstalled, it just replaces the old OS, or archives the old OS, and then installs a fresh copy of the OS onto your hard drive. The installation process does not touch any of your other files or applications (as long as you don't tell the installer to completely erase your hard drive.)

At this point you do not seem to be able to "boot" your computer from the hard drive...so backing it up does not seem to be an option.

But first...try rebooting from the hard drive one more time just to be sure it won't boot from the hard drive.

If it won't boot from the hard drive, then reinstalling the OS from the recovery DVD may be your last option.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.