Unable to boot OSX after Boot Camp partitioning

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new Macbook user and have run into a serious problem. I partitioned my harddive using Boot Camp and installed rEFIt to be able to dual boot between OS X and Ubuntu.

I restarted my laptop to boot from the Ubuntu Live CD, and I got to the main menu but never further, since when I chose an option I would get an error message (not responding).

When I then restarted to boot OS X the apple that appears during start up was replaced by a "stop sign" which I cannot get past. I tried to boot from the OS X Installation DVD, but this too leads to the stop sign.

I do however get to the rEFIt menu before this happens, where I can reach a terminal window to enter commands.

Does anyone have any advice as how to boot OS X, any commands or other solutions, or how to reinstall the OS?

Any help is appreciated tremendously.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Ubuntu uses Grub as it's bootloader, OSX uses Darwin.

But Ubuntu, on setup wil not see the OSX Boot, so you'll have to manually enter it, and edit Grub.

You'll have to boot back into Ubuntu, Open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

This is the boot list for OS/Memtest etc.

Scroll to the bottom of the grub menu and enter the following under where it says ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title MacOS X
rootnoverify (hd0,*)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Substitute the * for the partition number, in your case it maybe (hd0,1).

The sudo command emulates root permissions, so you can log in as any user.

If you're having trouble with this, it might be a good idea to just restore your OSX Partition from Time Machine, if of course you have it backed up.

Hope this helps;D

PS I only just read that you didn't actually install Ubuntu yet, in that case, do a back up restore

Reaction score
Try to do the hardware check by pressing 'D' upon restart, with the OSX dvd.

If that doesn't work then there may be an issue with your Optical drive

OP
G
Reaction score
Sur3Mac,

Thank you for taking the time.

When I pressed D during restart the OS X DVD appeared in the rEFIt menu. When I choose to boot from it, it starts to load like normal at first, but then the apple turns into a stop sign, and nothing more happens.

I burnt the image for the Ubuntu live-CD just prior to this happening, so I would not think it's the optical drive that's causing it.

Is there anything I can try from the shell that I can access from rEFIt?

/Jimmy

Reaction score
Have you tried rebooting from the Ubuntu Live CD?

And from there rename or remove the “efi” folder.

For a 100% clean de-installation, also remove the folder “rEFItBlesser” inside “Library/StartupItems”.

After doing that, you should be able to boot into OSX and re-bless the OSX Partition.

Regards;D

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, booting into it earlier was unsuccessful, but I could try it again. The only thing is, how do I eject the OS X DVD currently inserted?

Reaction score
Good one... you have your mouse button, there's the terminal command line, but I imagine they both give you no love, right?

OP
G
Reaction score
:) Hehe, no...

But, do you think the problem is related to the partitioning? I have read a few other posts about this "stop sign" on other forums, but have not been able to make any sense of it what's causing it.

I feel there must be some way of getting in...

Reaction score
Yeah... the install DVD, but that doesn't work either.

I'm afraid you're going to have to be patient, until someone comes along that has a working solution.

There are many, many members that have lots more knowledge of these things than I have.

I'm out of options here, sorry M8

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.