question about upgrading my hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Macbook pro
I just got a macbook pro 13in and the question i have is, i want to upgrade my hard drive but i do not have a install disk of leopard. I do have the restore disks that came with the mac though. So what do i have to do to be able to install snow leopard with the new hard drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just got a macbook pro 13in and the question i have is, i want to upgrade my hard drive but i do not have a install disk of leopard. I do have the restore disks that came with the mac though. So what do i have to do to be able to install snow leopard with the new hard drive?

I just wanted to make sure...are you positive you have a 13" MacBook Pro?

If so...the oldest 13" MacBook Pro came pre-installed with Mac OS 10.5.7...which is Leopard.

So your restore disks (if they are the original ones that came with your computer)...should most likely have a version of Leopard on them.

This being the case...all you need to install Snow Leopard is to purchase the $29.00 upgrade disk.

Then all you need to do is install that new hard drive, insert the Snow Leopard disk...and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Boot from the Restore CD. (Holding down C during boot up)

Format the HDD using Disk Utility.

Then you should be able to do an install or restore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If your computer came with Leopard then that's the OS that your restore discs will have on them. Like Crimson said, swap out the hard drive, boot from the first restore disc, format the drive using Disk Utility, and then follow the instructions to install OS X. Very simple, the whole process should take a little over an hour.

Reaction score
Can I restore from Time Machine? after installing new HD

Can I restore from Time machine after I install the new hard disk? I juat upgraded to Snow Leopard, and now I want to upgrade my hardisk.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Macbook pro
yeah i just bought it this friday so it came with snow leopard. Its the newest ones the mac store had. So thanks for answering i was just making sure i could install the os from the restore disks. Thank you for the replies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i just bought it this friday so it came with snow leopard. Its the newest ones the mac store had. So thanks for answering i was just making sure i could install the os from the restore disks. Thank you for the replies.

If you just bought it on Friday...how come you want to upgrade the hard drive already...or didn't get the hard drive upgraded by Apple before purchasing it?

Was the Apple hard drive upgrade more expensive than doing it yourself?

Just curious,

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Macbook pro
If you just bought it on Friday...how come you want to upgrade the hard drive already...or didn't get the hard drive upgraded by Apple before purchasing it?

Was the Apple hard drive upgrade more expensive than doing it yourself?

Just curious,

- Nick

O god yes it is Apple charges to much for ram and hard drives. I can get a 320gb 7200rpm for 50 bucks. Apple wanted like 200. Also i can get 4gb of ram for about 100 apple wants 250. I never buy ram from the manufactures. I just do it myself. Its easy and painless.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O god yes it is Apple charges to much for ram and hard drives. I can get a 320gb 7200rpm for 50 bucks. Apple wanted like 200. Also i can get 4gb of ram for about 100 apple wants 250. I never buy ram from the manufactures. I just do it myself. Its easy and painless.

I knew Apple charged too much for ram...I wasn't sure if the hard drive charge was too expensive as well.

I just checked the Apple website...and it appears they charge $100 bucks for the 5400 rpm 320 gig hard drive upgrade.

But if you can get a 7200rpm 320 gig hard drive for $50 bucks...that's definitely a better deal..since the hard drive install is very easy.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.