blue vertical line has appeared on my screen

Reaction score
a single blue vertical line has appeared on my screen. What causes this and how do i get rid of it?

Reaction score
Someone here may know but you should tell us more about the Imac..what year and model it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD
I've recently had the same issue. I would classify my line as aqua since it's a very light blue/green.

I'm running the very first year of the Intel Core Duo. 10.5.8. Am I looking at signs of logic board failure?

OP
K
Reaction score
Verticle line on screen

I have a 2007 i-mac with tiger. The line appeared yesterday when they updated the computer with I-tunes, Quick time and intel security something or other. The updates did not take properly because it said there was someone else logged in on i-tunes--which was not the case???? The line is acqua-green and begins where the H in help ends on the upper bar. We have no idea what's going on or how to get rid of it. Everything else appears to be working fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD
I take it that's not a good thing...

I'm getting a Mac Mini anyway, but could I sell my iMac with that problem for anything?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I take it that's not a good thing...

I'm getting a Mac Mini anyway, but could I sell my iMac with that problem for anything?

A 2007 iMac is still certainly worth something!:)...but of course that vertical line will certainly reduce the value.

You could try connecting an external monitor to your iMac...and see if the problem exists on the external monitor as well. Then you could either keep the iMac (working off the external monitor)...or sell it, informing folks that the main monitor has the vertical line issue...but state that if an external monitor is used, everything is fine.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2007 i-mac with tiger. The line appeared yesterday when they updated the computer with I-tunes, Quick time and intel security something or other. The updates did not take properly because it said there was someone else logged in on i-tunes--which was not the case????

In this post you mentioned that the problem with the iMac started when "they" updated the computer.

Who is they??

Maybe the OS got messed up somehow during this update. You might want to try reinstalling the OS before you consider this computer "no good", and selling it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
I have had this problem on laptops before, they usually mean the LCD display is going bad, the lines usually get worse, although I haven't seen this as an issue with GPUs myself I do know that is also a possibility.Do what pigoo says and try an external monitor, that will tell you what the problem is. unfortunately it is highly impractical to replace the iMac LCDs, but the graphics card is easier. Neither one is cheap, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
what is the reputation system- i am a mac novice

Kairos? By in the Woods? Good song...

The reputation system is a part of this board... that is a part of pigoo's signature.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2007 i-mac with tiger. The line appeared yesterday when they updated the computer with I-tunes, Quick time and intel security something or other. The updates did not take properly because it said there was someone else logged in on i-tunes--which was not the case???? The line is acqua-green and begins where the H in help ends on the upper bar. We have no idea what's going on or how to get rid of it. Everything else appears to be working fine.

I received & replied to your PM...and I'm posting here as well to help with the continuity of the thread.

That line appearing after the update sounds way to coincidental to be anything other than being related to the software update.

If I were you (and if I had the same problem) I would do a fresh install of the Mac OS.

One other thing you could do, is try booting the computer with the grey/silver disks that came with your computer (I'm assuming you got this computer new).

When your computer "boots" from the disk...don't do the reinstall yet...just look to see if you get the vertical line.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
what is expensive???

Buying a new LCD display or a new graphics card. The good graphics cards are in excess of $100 (Sometimes in excess of $200), and I'm not sure about the LCD's but I have seen some laptop LCDs go for more than $150 and that is not something I would trust myself to install one properly, it is not a job for the inexperienced.

Also, I think some iMacs had the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics, which is not replaceable, in which case I have no idea what you could do to fix it. It depends on which one you have exactly.

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks for all the information. It's time to call in the cavalry and get a techie to assess the situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for all the information. It's time to call in the cavalry and get a techie to assess the situation.

Which model iMac did you have (Processor type and speed is usually sufficient)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.