Wifi suddenly stopped working on my MacBook unibody

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have had my MacBook for 6 months and it has worked just great with my WiFi network and any other WiFi I have happened to connect it to. This morning, while I was downloading some files, my internet connection died on me. At 1st I thought it was my provider and I usually fix that by restarting my Router. I did that, but nothing happened. I can detect and connect to my WiFi but I have no internet access! My wife's PC and mobile phone connect perfectly well to my WiFi and so does my iPhone!!! My MacBook now only works with ETHERNET...

Let me add that I have the 13.3" MacBook unibody running the latest Leopard 10.5.8. software upgrades. These are my MacBook characteristics:

* Model Name: MacBook
* Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
* Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
* Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
* Number Of Processors: 1
* Total Number Of Cores: 2
* L2 Cache: 3 MB
* Memory: 2 GB
* Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Does anybody know what is going on?!? What has happened!?!
Cheers!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you tried turning the encryption off on your router (just for testing purposes)? What about experimenting with connecting to a public WiFi connection?

OP
P
Reaction score
I found my old Linksys Modem router and it seems to be working fine. The thing is that I need my NEW SpeedTouch because it works with my second VOIP phone. So, my options now either to use my old modem and not have a phone or to have a phone without WiFi... Whatever... I just don't get why my wife's PC and all other WiFi devices don't have this issue besides my MacBook!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found my old Linksys Modem router and it seems to be working fine. The thing is that I need my NEW SpeedTouch because it works with my second VOIP phone. So, my options now either to use my old modem and not have a phone or to have a phone without WiFi... Whatever... I just don't get why my wife's PC and all other WiFi devices don't have this issue besides my MacBook!

I'm not familiar with that router, but at least we know that the AirPort card is functional. Have you tried removing the connecting in System Preferences => Network => AirPort => Advanced => AirPort tab and then re-establishing the connection?

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that router, but at least we know that the AirPort card is functional. Have you tried removing the connecting in System Preferences => Network => AirPort => Advanced => AirPort tab and then re-establishing the connection?

No, I haven't. I will reconnect my Thomson Speedtouch 780 (The modem router with the issue) and try this. I will get back to you soon. BTW, thanks for taking the time to help :) .

OP
P
Reaction score
I just turned on my old NetBook and it also works fine with the WiFi... I am beginning to think my Modem has something personal with my Mac!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of security are you using on the modem?

OP
P
Reaction score
What kind of security are you using on the modem?

WPA. I tried it without the security and I had the same issues. I found something interesting though. I remembered that last night I installed DropBox. So I went to the DropBox Prefs and disabled the default Auto Detect Proxy and I got a bit of speed via WiFi. Nothing special, I can now connect via WiFi with 1 mbit... That is nothing compared to the Ethernet connection that reaches a speed of up to 13Mbits. So I will completely remove the DropBox app from my MacBook and see what happens then.

OP
P
Reaction score
Now that I removed DropBox from my system and restarted my MacBook I can once again enjoy the pleasures of a fast WiFi connection! The DropBox people should have an FAQ or something about this issue... I will not install it again now that I know that it is to blame for me wasting 5 hours of my precious Sunday!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, learn something new every day. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad you got it all sorted out. Thanks for coming back and telling us it was Dropbox in case someone else installs it and has the same issues!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And the second fairly long thread in 2 days with a wifi issue caused by a 3rd party app. The other was PeerGuardian for those finding this thread.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tex, he's good to go... see a couple posts up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24inch - 2.94GHZ - 4GB RAM - 650 HDD
I remember when this happened to me i try everything but i couldn't fix it, so i called the Apple Call Center and they sent me a replacement thats the best way to do it mate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.