Powering up a closed MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

I use my MacBook Pro on my desk most of the time where it is connected to external monitors and a lot of USB devices through a hub. The MacBook always runs with the lid closed. However, I have to open the lid to press power on, and then close it rapidly before it starts powering the internal lcd. Offcource, this is anoying and it makes for a good IKEA-test, which isn't good for my MBP's live span.

There are several "solutions" (which are actually workarounds) to this, but here's why I am not happy with them:

Put the MacBook to sleep, wake it using a mouse or keyboard when needed.​
Not a solution because all my devices are powered using a plug box, including the USB-hub, and because I don't want to switch of all externals individually, I use the switch on the plug box to power off everything. However, because the MacBook is so good natured, it will then power the USB-hub with it's battery. Fail. I was trying to save power.​

Put the MacBook to sleep, wake it using WOL (Wake on LAN)​
The biggest problem is again that all external USB devices will remain powered off the MBP's battery. A fix might be to remove the USB cable from the MBP every time I shut it off. But since I want to reduce wear and tear on the darn thing, this seems counter productive.​

So I can think off two solutions myself that would actually solve something, but I don't know if they are possible. The first one is, set the MBP to not power USB devices when asleep. This would make the WOL option a pretty good one, because then I could wake it up using iWOL on my iPhone.

My second idea would be to hack the rather useless battery-check button into an on/off button, but I don't know if this is possible. Is this button actually hardwired to the rest of the system, or is it only connected to the battery and the flashy lights? If it is connected, it might be possible? I am not a skilled enough programmer to do any of these myself though.

Other solutions are off-cource welcome, I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Why not use a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard or some other device. Those will wake up a closed notebook too and won't use battery power. Or leave your MB plugged in so you can wake it up with a USB device without using battery power, since leaving it plugged in won't affect your battery as long as you use it unplugged once in awhile or calibrate every month or so.

OP
M
Reaction score
Why not use a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard or some other device. Those will wake up a closed notebook too and won't use battery power. Or leave your MB plugged in so you can wake it up with a USB device without using battery power, since leaving it plugged in won't affect your battery as long as you use it unplugged once in awhile or calibrate every month or so.

But the MBP's power adapter is plugged into the same plug box as my two monitors, speakers and USB-hub. So leaving the power adapter on would mean having to switch everything off individually. Plus it would waste power unnecessary because the USB keeps being powered.

Reaction score
I would ask myself: is the end really worth the means?

Would anyone want to buy (if neccesary) a MBP with a hacked battery checkerbuttonthingy?

Something to think about...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
i really dont get your post OP, if your willing to power off the external drives, why not unplug the one or two usb cable from the MBP??, i would leave the drives powered on and just unplug the usb, why make life more difficult for yourself.. or just leave the the MBP plugged in..

are the 3.5" or 2.5" drives..

OP
M
Reaction score
Look at it this way: if a desktop computer had such a hard to reach power button, I would have had every right to complain, right? ;)

And I am using this MBP as a desktop replacement 98% of the time, so that gives me a 98% right to complain.

I just find it very annoying that it seems impossible to power up a closed MBP without any peripherals. It shouldn't have to be that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
But you also wouldn't be plugging and unplugging a desktop machine either. Leaving a sleeping notebook plugged in doesn't use any more energy than a sleeping desktop computer that's plugged in. Again, I'd suggest a Bluetooth mouse. No USB wire to bother with and it doesn't use any outlet or battery power. Just because you're using the notebook as a desktop replacement doesn't mean it "should" always work exactly like a desktop.

But if you want to think of it as a desktop computer, leave it plugged in like one; you'll be using the same amount of power as a sleeping desktop (that is, very little) and you'll be able to turn it on with the touch of a button. Trust me, I leave my MBP plugged in and there's been no significant increase in my electricity bill. It's pretty much the same as when I had my desktop plugged in all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
If you unplug your macbook, it should stop powering your other devices.
Sooo, just turn off your hub and unplug your Mac, I think that turning the hub back on should wake the computer.

But yeah, the charging behavior makes lots of sense when I think about it. When I close my macbook while its plugged in, it'll charge my iPod. As soon as I pull the plug though, it stops charging to maintain battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
If you unplug your macbook, it should stop powering your other devices.
Sooo, just turn off your hub and unplug your Mac, I think that turning the hub back on should wake the computer.

But yeah, the charging behavior makes lots of sense when I think about it. When I close my macbook while its plugged in, it'll charge my iPod. As soon as I pull the plug though, it stops charging to maintain battery life.

i do the same thing, i unplug my drive unplug the power (why not the mac seem to not use anything when sleeping), am using the rocketrish BT, got on sale for $22 cnd (cheap) and it right click,.. the OP is going about thhis the hard way, a laptop is a laptop, because you use it as desktop replacement does not make it a desktop..

you could leave everything plugged in but IMO you will have heat issue later on with the charge port..

Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't even know a MBP could run with the lid closed.... or is it not all the way closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you guys have something set on your MB's that stop it from powering USB devices when unplugged? Mine charges things while on battery power, which is actually what I want most of the time, but how did you get it to stop charging when unplugged?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Honestly, I didn't even know a MBP could run with the lid closed.... or is it not all the way closed?

It can run with the lid fully closed. I have mine hooked to my Cinema display and the lid is always closed. I have to do what the OP states on power up, but it is no biggie for me. I just lift the lid enough to hit the power and then I am on my way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is usually closed because I have it hooked up to a bigger external display. All I have to do is click my Bluetooth mouse and it wakes right up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you guys have something set on your MB's that stop it from powering USB devices when unplugged? Mine charges things while on battery power, which is actually what I want most of the time, but how did you get it to stop charging when unplugged?

I have been wondering the same thing, as this would solve my problem ;)

Yes it is closed all the way. Just put it to sleep and close it, then wake it up by one of the methods descriped in this thread.

Reaction score
But why a MBP with a closed lid, an iMac would be so much better for OP.

Plus it saves space.
Whenever I wanna work on my computer I take it out of the drawer and do it,
here... I see so much setups with desks and screens... I mean my wife would hate that, more dusting;D hehe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.