Network Error or ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black, 2G Intel Duo, 100G HD, 2G Ram, OS-X 10.5.8
I have never seen this error message before. I got it trying to access Facebook and the Mac Forums website. Does anyone have a clue what this is?
I don't know if it is my MacBook messing up, a virus, or a problem with my Internet provider.

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: Login | Facebook

The following error was encountered:

* Socket Failure

The system returned:

(98) Address already in use

Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load. Please retry your request.

Your cache administrator is root.
Generated Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:58:46 GMT by proxy (squid)

Who is Squid???

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Switched browsers and it does the same thing with Safari.

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/airport-networking-wireless-technology/168022-network-error.html
• Socket Failure
The system returned:
Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load. Please retry your request.

Generated Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:11:33 GMT by proxy (squid)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Must be an error somewhere - that GMT time is still 6 hours away. Have u tried repowering your modem - that change anything?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Must be an error somewhere - that GMT time is still 6 hours away. Have u tried repowering your modem - that change anything?

I am in Thailand. Live in the future.
Tried rebooting router already. Still get the message about every third page I try to load.

Reaction score
scudman I too have just started getting this message and I too am in Thailand. I use TOT as my provider. No idea what Squid is too. Please post any news on the problem...

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Interesting you are both in the same country. Any chance of Government or ISP censoring?

Reaction score
Hello,
Squi is a HTTP proxy and it looks all of your traffic goes through it. I presume it is the proxy of your ISP. It looks like it is your ISP who has problems so I would just wait.

Tex

Reaction score
also with me. also thailand, also TOT, also error news:
[]

* Socket Failure

The system returned:

Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load.

[]
seems to be a TOT problem then. Comes with a lot of websites. even this one, then click again, and I am here. Platinum Member by the way...

Since nearly one month my Internet does funny things. But this news is news to me. Maybe time to switch provider.

[edit]sorry for double post. did not know the first get through...[/edit]

Reaction score
also with me. also thailand, also TOT, also error news:
[]

* Socket Failure

The system returned:

Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load.

[]
seems to be a TOT problem then. Comes with a lot of websites. even this one, then click again, and I am here. Platinum Member by the way...

Since nearly one month my Internet does funny things. But this news is news to me. Maybe time to switch provider.

and again:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?

* Socket Failure

The system returned:

Generated Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:30:07 GMT by proxy (squid)

Reaction score
I agree it seems to be TOT. Don't know if its meaningful but I reboot my MB and have no problems until I try to download vlc viewer from videolan.org. (Fails to download, by the way)

The pattern after that is the same as already described - intermittent but frequent errors. I'm going to reboot again now to see if the problem goes away.

Is it possible the squid thing is creating multiple sockets for each account so some of us are affected and others not?

Reaction score
Is it possible the squid thing is creating multiple sockets for each account so some of us are affected and others not?
I don't think so. Squid is just a http proxy so I doubt there could be any "ISP client" tracking.

Btw, did you have to set up a proxy configuration in your browsers ?

Tex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.