powermac g5 better than what I got?

Reaction score
Hi, I have an hp pavillion dv6500 series with 1.46ghz dual core, windows vista 32 bit, 4gb ram. I am considering trading with someone for a powermac g5 2.0gb dual core, with 2.5gb ram, and a 19" lcd and I also have one (dual monitors). it has installed os 10.4 but I have a copy of 10.5...what do you guys think?

btw, Ive used mac before (I had a g4) and I liked it. I am mainly going to use it for school work and recording music.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well your asking a bunch of Macintosh people if you should trade a Windows machine for a Macintosh???...what answer do you think you're going to get???;)

But honestly...the PowerMac G5 is a nice computer...but the one problem at this point is the PowerMac G5 does not have an Intel processor...and starting with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)...all future OS updates will be for Macintosh's with Intel CPU's only.

So with the PowerMac G5 the latest OS update you can use on it will be 10.5.8.

Again...the PowerMac G5 is a nice computer...and I wouldn't hesitate to snap one up for the right price.

I think that if I were you I would consider some things:

1. How much much do you want to switch from the Windows OS to the Mac OS?
2. How long do you intend on keeping this PowerMac G5...and is having the latest & greatest OS important to you?
3. Compare how much your HP is worth compared to the value of the G5...just to be sure it's a fair trade.
4. Would it be better to keep your HP...and upgrade to Windows 7?

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks.
well actually that deal didnt go through after all but I am still looking to trade my computer and there are some that I am considering. but I am not sure what amout of ghz would be equal or more than my current laptop.
there is another g5 that has 1.8ghz dual core, and only 512 ram. is this still better? which one would be better for recording music?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks.
well actually that deal didnt go through after all but I am still looking to trade my computer and there are some that I am considering. but I am not sure what amout of ghz would be equal or more than my current laptop.
there is another g5 that has 1.8ghz dual core, and only 512 ram. is this still better? which one would be better for recording music?

How come the other deal fell through?

Your HP is a laptop...is trading for a desktop going to fit your computing needs?

As far as a CPU speed comparison...this is not an easy thing to do between Windows & Mac computers.

I'm not 100% sure this is the best comparison...but maybe in terms of CPU evolution between Windows & Mac computers...consider the G5 CPU's to be kind of like Pentium 4 CPU's.

If your HP has a 1.46 ghz dual-core processor...that would be more like some of the slower 1.83 ghz dual-core CPU's Apple used in the older MacBooks & iMac's.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
well the deal fell through because he was more interested in money, and someone bought last night.

yeah I prefer desktop right now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well the deal fell through because he was more interested in money, and someone bought last night.

Yeah...I know how that goes...trades are really hard to pull off!:(

Unless you're trading someone something of much greater value than they're trading you.

Money almost always is more attractive than a trade.

Good luck in your search,:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks. do you think that a mac g5 1.8ghz dual core with 1gb ram will be better than my pc? there is someone interested...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The G5 has a 64 bit processor... a faster processor... and a better OS. The only thing it's lacking is 1.5GB of RAM... which you can easily upgrade.

So, in short... you'd be crazy not to do that deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicksilver- 1.4GHz sonnet upgrade, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb video card
yep. Id grab it quick and never look back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.