New mac daddy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core
Hey

Just bought a Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon with 6GB... sorry, I had to type that in as I still cant believe I'm getting one :)
Not getting it until Tues grrrr. So I am doing as much reading as I can.

Main use will be music production. So next purchase will be Logic Studio woo hoo!
I work in IT (Windows) so I have a good understanding of things. A couple of unix boxes in our workplace that I have to do "very rare" tasks, so I am not worried about my new mac journey.

First of many questions. Have been looking at the wireless mice\keyboards. Are they any good? They just seem pretty expensive.
As I explained, I am recording guitars etc so I have a load of cables as it is, so 2 less cables would be a plus for me.

Cheers guys and gals

V

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I've had good experience with them. I must say, I'm envious. The Mac Pro is um... a bit overkill for recording guitars and stuff. Really, the 13 inch macbook can handle most of that. You'll be able to handle like, 10000 simultaneous tracks lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats on your Mac Pro purchase. The Mac Pros are great computers...and with it being an 8-core machine...it will probably be able to do just about anything you throw at it!!!:)

By the way...what video card are you getting with it?

Welcome,

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core
Its just got the standard NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, it is a refurb so I had no choice in the matter.
Not using it for games as I still have my pc with a 8800 GTX for games.
Im planning to do all music/video projects and general stuff on my mac from now on and only pop back to Windows for a spot of Dirt 2.
Is the GT 120 any good for what I will be using it for? Or should I look at a possible upgrade.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The GT 120? For music? lol. Well, it has 32 cores at 1.4GHz each... with OpenCL that's sweet, especially adding your 8 cores of CPU processors at 2.26GHz each... um. Yea, it'll be good for what you're using it for. And probably for some gaming too.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core
Lol. I know it will be fine for music, I was thinking more on video editing side. As I say I have my pc for games.

Btw, I still need to tell my girlfriend about this recent purchase doh!

When she asks the question "what is that!!"
I have so far compiled the the following replies

1) I dunno, thought it was yours
2) Oh, its an external hard drive for our photos ;)
3) Well... you know that holiday we were planning.
4) Duck

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Come on dude...she's your girlfriend not your wife...yet!
smiley-laughing024.gif

It definitely sounds like a nice computer...and since it was refurbished you probably got a good deal on it as well!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol. I know it will be fine for music, I was thinking more on video editing side. As I say I have my pc for games.

When she asks the question "what is that!!"
I have so far compiled the the following replies

1) I dunno, thought it was yours
2) Oh, its an external hard drive for our photos ;)
3) Well... you know that holiday we were planning.
4) Duck

HAH! MY fiancee knew I was buying my macbook, but I understand the need to hide big purchases. She's a freak about money, and complains if I buy an energy drink or something and ashe sees the can.

For video editing it will be MORE than enough... as for your compiled answers, good stuff. I may add...

5) You can see that? It's so fast your eyes shouldn't be able to detect it.
6) Sorry, love... I guess I'll be stuck with the same crappy car for a while longer...
7) Oh... you know, I was going to get this really nice ring... but then the guys at the Apple store found me, and...
8) It's so I can make a professional quality video of our wedding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
First of many questions. Have been looking at the wireless mice\keyboards. Are they any good? They just seem pretty expensive.
As I explained, I am recording guitars etc so I have a load of cables as it is, so 2 less cables would be a plus for me.

Both of the Apple products are poor ergonomically: if you do a lot of keyboard work (I produce lots of text - your use for music may be different) you'll find that the Apple keyboard is very poor from this point of view. I use a Msoft ergonomic keyboard, which is cheap, and which works fine with the Mac. Similarly, the Apple mouse is a pain in the neck because its buttons are wrapped into a design that looks pretty but which, in my experience, cause all kinds of problems with the cursor skidding all over the screen, the Dashboard popping up when I don't need it and so on. So I use the Logitech mouse I used with the PC - it does fine.

Good luck with the new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It all comes down to preference. I don't mind a normal keyboard, you know... flat... with keys on it... QWERTY set up... some people like those weird freakin' wave keyboards that are split into two keyboard sides... f those.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core
Cheers for the info guys.
I will probably stick with the standard mouse keyboard for a while, the most text I do is on forums so I guess it will be good for now.

And lmao at
8) It's so I can make a professional quality video of our wedding!

Very good

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core
Hey all

Well I have been lost for days playing with this beauty, I love it!
I keep waiting for it to crash or display random error messages, but it keeps ticking along and simply working. I spend way too much time with Windows.
I enjoy working on projects now, my music workflow is a pleasure.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum, as you have provided me with loads of info/help within the different threads.
Its very nice to see so many people help others for no personal gain.

ta ta for now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope you are enjoying your Mac experience... and I must say again... super jealous. When I am a PhD of Musicology and teaching somewhere, then I'll get my own mac pro... and it'll probably have like, 8 processors with 32 cores each. So, hah! But until then... wah :( Me want!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.