connecting macbook to monitor issues

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect my macbook to a new samsung monitor/tv via a dvi cable. (via via a mini-dvi to dvi adaptor). the connections are correct, i'm on the right channel.. all the obvious stuff is not the culprit. when everything is set up, i just get a black screen. the guy i called at samsung suggested that perhaps the mini dvi port needs to be enabled. basically all he could say was it's not the tv. if he's right about needing to enable it.. how do you do that? has anyone had this issue? contacting apple costs like 50 bucks so.. no thanks. any help would, of course, be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks!
:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you go into System Preferences, Displays, and click on "detect displays"?

If so, did your Samsung TV show up? And if it showed up, did you set the correct resolution (native resolution of the TV) and then select "mirror" mode?

Is your Samsung TV setup correctly to accept a video input signal to its DVI input?

The mini DVI port on your MacBook does not need to be enabled. If it's working properly, it's on all the time.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey, thanks very much for taking the time to offer a solution! I did click on "detect displays" to no avail.. the tv didn't show up. I also followed all of the directions given by my mac's help articles about lowering the res but that didn't do anything either. I know something is happening because when the tv is set to the DVI channel and the mac is hooked up to it, I get a black screen instead of "no signal"- which is what it displays when nothing is hooked up. This is a hugely frustrating problem.. I've already spent money on the monitor, the dvi cable, and the mini-dv to dvi adaptor.. so far all for nothing. Sigh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Your macbook must be plugged in to power, not on battery. This may sound dumb but Select f2 to brighten the monitor. I had to do this the first time I hooked up to the monitor. Some times this must be done. Also after connecting close the macbook let it go to sleep; then wake it up by hitting enter on external keyboard. Double check all connections. Finally it could be the monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It could also be the cable. I just had to replace my DVI to HDMI cable because of external display issues, and everything works fine now.

OP
M
Reaction score
what about drivers? do monitors require a driver? my monitor came with a cd but it's for windows. thanks again

OP
M
Reaction score
basically there's a conflict in that, when the monitor and macbook are connected, something DOES happen- in that the screen on the monitor goes from "no signal" to black. but on the other hand, in "displays" on the mac when i click "detect display" nothing happens. so something is happening.. but my mac doesn't seem to be on board

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Drivers are not required for OS X. So we can put that aside....

Now, about the TV not being detected: You either have a problem with the mini DVI adapter from your MacBook, the DVI cable to the TV, or the input to the TV is not set correctly. Or, it could even be the video output from the MacBook that's not working.

What you need to do is isolate the problem. Do you have another monitor or TV that you can test with your MacBook? If you can get another monitor or TV to display from your MacBook, that will eliminate the cables and the MacBook. If you can't, then we need to figure out if it's the cables (and which one) or is it the video output from the MacBook that's not working?

Keep us posted.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d, 2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB Harddrive, 16GB iPhone 3G
I know there is a certain TV companies TV's that do not work with Macs, It could be the Samsung's if I recall right (possibly wrong). I work at Best Buy and we have had this problem a few times.

OP
M
Reaction score
ahh i hope that's not true about mac's not working with samsungs... yikes. i don't have another tv or monitor to test... i think it might be the dvi cable tho. i bought it from radio shack and noticed when i got home that the package had been taped shut. i'll try taking it back and getting a new one....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To put your mind at ease.... Samsung monitors work just fine. I'm using one right now replying to you. Return the cable to RS and buy a genuine one from Best Buy (they sell Apple cables). Let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
hey guys...just bought a mini port to HDMI..i plugged them in and went to system preference and it detects it i select the proper resolution but still nothing... any clue why? btw its a MBP 15 unibody incase it matters

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.