iMac Airport to Linksys router challenge

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I have:

An iMac 2009 sporting a built in Airport Extreme card, connected to a DSL modem via Ethernet and using PPPoE. Note that I am unable to use Airport Utility as the Airport Extreme is not a base station. The iMac Airport (wireless network) is configured to share my internet connection from the DSL modem (ethernet).

I have a TV and DVD player which have ethernet ports are far enough away from the DSL modem as to make a wired router/switch impractical.

I also am the proud owner of a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 wireless router which I've flashed with the dd-wrt vintage mini software.

I want to connect the WRT54G router, wirelessly, to the iMac Airport signal. I then want to transmit this internet connection, through the wired router ports on the WRT54G, to the TV and DVD player. I believe this what is meant by Bridging/Repeater mode.

Again, here is a graphic of what I'd like to accomplish:

DSL Modem--->(Ethernet/PPPoE)--->iMac---->(wireless via Airport)--->WRT54G--->(Ethernet)--->TV/DVD

There is extremely limited documentation which I can find on this subject, as everything Airport Extreme assumes you are using the airport base station and Airport Utility. As you can tell I am a novice so please provide a basic step by step if you are familiar.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure if you realize this, but the WRT54G has full PPPoE support. You can easily attach the DSL modem directly to the WAN port on the WRT54G and then configure the router to establish the PPPoE connection. Then all of your client devices can connect to it wirelessly (or wired to one of the four ports on the back of it).

I can't give you precise steps with the dd-wrt firmware, but if you flash back to the stock firmware, I should be able to assist.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but that's not what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to get the TV/DVD attached to the internet. These units can only connect via ethernet, no wireless capability for either. It is impractical to run an ethernet connection from the location of the DSL modem all the way to the TV/DVD, I want to do this wirelessly.

I have the Linksys wireless router which is not in use. I would like to put it to use as a wireless bridge/repeater (whatever the correct terminology is) so the TV/DVD can connect to the internet. I would like it to pick up the wireless Airport signal and then send that signal through it's wired ethernet router connection to the TV/DVD. I would be able to place the Linksys router next to the TV/DVD.

Again, I'm trying to determine the correct software setup for iMac Airport and Linksys WRT54g so they can talk to eachother. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, wasn't quite sure what you were after. I would imagine you could set up the Airport card in ad hoc mode, but how you would tie the WRT54G into that as a client, I'm not sure.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know how to do it, just tossing questions of my own related to what you're attempting.

Can you even:
a) connect 2 routers together wirelessly or
b) use both ethernet and wireless simultaneously on a computer?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would have to bone up on the dd-wrt firmware a bit but I know what you are trying to do.

Let me run this by you real fast to be sure I understand exactly what you want. You have the DSL Modem. How is your iMac connecting to the DSL Modem? Wired correct? If so then you have to set up OSX Internet Sharing. The Airport adapter in the Mac would be set up in AdHoc mode like CWA mentioned. It would send out a WiFi signal like an Access point. Your Linksys then would receive that signal and send it Via Cat-5 to the TV/DVD/ whatever.

Is that what you are trying to do? I can help easily with the OSX end and will read up on the dd-wrt firmware. I have a few Linksys WRT54G's, 2 Version 2's and a GL even. I had the dd-wrt installed at one point but wanted the Linksys back stock for a reason.

Let us know if we are understanding you correctly.

The main thing I need to know is how the iMac is connected to the DSL Modem.

OP
K
Reaction score
dtravis7 you are indeed tracking with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Yes, the iMac is connected, via ethernet, to the DSL Modem. I am also familiar with broadcasting my airport signal, assigning it to share my internet connection via the ethernet so no problems there. I'm getting hung up on the settings in both OS X Network Pane and the dd-wrt setup page.

In the Network Pane:

Connected to PPPoE Service. Under Advanced button, TCP/IP Tab: Configure IPv4: Using PPP; IPv4 Address is present; No subnet mask is present; and Router address is present. Under DNS Tab two DNS Addresses are given.

Distributing Airport signal. Under Advanced button, TCP/IP Tab: Configure IPv4: Using DHCP; IPv4 Address is present; Subnet Mask is present; No Router address is present. Under DNS Tab no DNS address is given.

Linksys dd-wrt is set up in client-bridge mode. I am unclear as to which IP address/DNS address/Subnet Mask to input. Additionally, should the Airport signal have it's Configure IPv4 set to something other than "Using DHCP"?

Am I wrong in believing that the Airport Extreme card inside of this iMac is not the same as an Airport Extreme Basestation? Or has Apple reduced functionality to push more product?

In any event, please excuse my ignorance regarding this matter. Thanks for the help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I wrong in believing that the Airport Extreme card inside of this iMac is not the same as an Airport Extreme Basestation? Or has Apple reduced functionality to push more product?

In any event, please excuse my ignorance regarding this matter. Thanks for the help!

AirPort is Apple's brand name for "WiFi". The Airport card in your Mac is akin to a WiFi adapter. Although WiFi adapters can be setup to work in ad hoc mode and emulate a router in a sense, their functionality is extremely limited.

The AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme products are more or less akin to a standard WiFi router. The Express has some specialized functionality that allows you to easily stream music using WiFi and can approximate a router, although it's pretty limited. The Extreme is more in line with a traditional router, although it has some NAS and printer sharing functionality.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I hope it sheds a little light on the product line-up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.