"Dreaded" Hockey Puck Mouse - Broken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBook White, iMac G3 Strawberry, iBook Clamshell Indigo.
So I bought a pink "hockey puck" mouse from someone in my city. They said it worked fine, but upon plugging it in to my pink G3 it didn't seem to function. I tried it on an Intel iMac and my Intel MacBook, but no luck. This morning I plugged it into my Mac on a Windows partition and it told me the mouse had malfunctioned - believe it or not, this was amazing because I thought that the mouse wasn't giving off any sign of life at all.
Is there any way I can get the mouse working again? Do I need to get a driver or something in particular? I really want a working mouse to compliment my G3.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I probably have something like 20 Macintosh computer mice laying around...and knock on wood...never had a problem with any of them.

The only things I ever do with the older mice with the rubber coated ball in them...is remove the ball, and clean the "cheese" off the wheels inside.

Otherwise...all the mouse is...is one micro switch for the mouse button, and a small circuit board. So there's not much inside for you to "tinker" with.

Give it:

- a good cleaning inside (the little wheels) and see if that helps.
- it could also be a short circuit of some sort...either at the USB connector end, or the mouse end. You could try plugging the mouse in...and "jiggling" the mouse cord while moving the mouse to test if you have a short circuit.

Good luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All my Hockey Puck mice work great and only needed a good cleaning. Your issue might be a broken USB cable like like Pigoo said, a loose or shorted wire where the cable connected inside the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all! I will clean it today (it does look a little dirty) and report back. I am using a 3rd party keyboard without USB ports so I always plug directly into the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people say the Clamshell iBook looks like a toilet seat. Those people must have very strange bathrooms.

Or very strange bottoms?

After cleaning see if the mouse lights up underneath when moved. I would suggest keeping an eye out for a matching Mac keyboard. Keep us posted?

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people say the Clamshell iBook looks like a toilet seat. Those people must have very strange bathrooms.

Or very strange bottoms?

He he.

After cleaning see if the mouse lights up underneath when moved. I would suggest keeping an eye out for a matching Mac keyboard. Keep us posted?

I would love a matching keyboard too. I use a d'ickSmith keyboard as it was lying around it my cupboard. :p
I will keep you up to date.

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1zdtzcg.png

:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hard luck. Like real time mouses, they do die. See them from time to time on eBay Australia in all their various coloured splendour.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Neat photo you made there!:)

Too bad about the mouse:(...I guess you will have to look for another.

- Nick

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh well, its a collectors item all the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.