Templates in dreamweaver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
okay, still learning a lot of stuff in dreamweaver and website stuff. im trying to set up a template that will look like this http://bryantplayers.com/templatetest.html

in my repeating regions i would like to be able to edit the file outside of dreamweaver and just have it read that page when it loads. For example i have an announcements.html file that i will like to open in the upper right hand corner where it actually says 'news'

is this possible? and if so how would i do this?? i would like to get this site up and running in the next few days and i think i am almost there as of right now

-chris

note; only link that works with the css and the template right now is club information

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
anyone?
-chris

V

vtupser

I believe you will only be able to do that if you use a scripting program like PHP to "include" your outside file. HTML is not a dynamic language and thus does not allow you to include or imbed external HTML files into itself (there are not any tags that I know of that will let you do that). My suggestion is turn your main file into a PHP file (replace the .html with .php) then you can use the require function inside it. To do so, in the area where you want your file included type <?php require ("NameofExternalFile.html"); ?> That should do it. The only problem might be is that your server must be running Apache/PHP on it in order for you to use it.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
thanks, i had a strange feeling today when i woke up and thought about this post and said "please dont need php"

i guess ill see what happens
-chris

V

vtupser

PHP is not that hard if you are going to use it for simple things like the require function, etc. I suggest picking up the Visual Quickstart Guide on PHP at a bookstore. That's how I learned it and the book was very helpful for what I needed it for by physically showing examples of code.

D

d-funct

You could use SSI's (Server Side Includes) I think but unless I'm mistaken most host won't turn it on because of the potential for abuse.... PHP includes are a much better direction to head it :)

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
vtupser said:
I believe you will only be able to do that if you use a scripting program like PHP to "include" your outside file. HTML is not a dynamic language and thus does not allow you to include or imbed external HTML files into itself (there are not any tags that I know of that will let you do that). My suggestion is turn your main file into a PHP file (replace the .html with .php) then you can use the require function inside it. To do so, in the area where you want your file included type <?php require ("NameofExternalFile.html"); ?> That should do it. The only problem might be is that your server must be running Apache/PHP on it in order for you to use it.

so if my template is an html based template is their an easy way to change that to a php template and then use the require function?? i have a strange feeling that this isnt going to be that easy

-chris

D

design2

you could alternatively chop your page up into frames like you have in http://bryantplayers.com that pulls out 4 pages..the top navbar page, the content page, the right news page and the footer page.

D

design2

just copy the source into a blank web page change the filenames to your filenames and shazam.

<frameset rows="190,*" cols="1" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frame src="topbar.html" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
<frameset rows="*,53" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frameset rows="*" cols="745,255" framespacing="5" frameborder="NO" border="5">
<frame src="main.html" name="mainFrame">

<frame src="news.html">
</frameset>
<frame src="bottombar.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
</frameset>

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
design2 said:
you could alternatively chop your page up into frames like you have in http://bryantplayers.com that pulls out 4 pages..the top navbar page, the content page, the right news page and the footer page.

i am attempting to abandon frames a) to learn something different and b) they were pissing me off while creating this page and stuff

so yea....

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
woot!!!!! I GOT IT TO WORK....had to copy the file over to a folder i ahd with all my php stuff in it...kinda forgot about that step....

now i just need to do some formatting stuff because i am getting this: http://bryantplayers.com/phpnuke/templatetest.php

note: i moved the entire page so no links are going to work and i didnt move over the dependant files

Reaction score
design2 said:
just copy the source into a blank web page change the filenames to your filenames and shazam.

<frameset rows="190,*" cols="1" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frame src="topbar.html" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
<frameset rows="*,53" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frameset rows="*" cols="745,255" framespacing="5" frameborder="NO" border="5">
<frame src="main.html" name="mainFrame">

<frame src="news.html">
</frameset>
<frame src="bottombar.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
</frameset>

ugh, frames. ppl generally avoid using frames these days.

D

design2

yeah i kno. i dont use them cos u cant back button but it iz quick and simple

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
now how do i go about getting everything to align to the top of the table that it is in? i always thought that align = center|top was valid code but i guess not....

D

design2

do u know css? u can make divs instead of tables and margin/padding and generally format your a s s off.. i love u css..mwa

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i started screwin around with css last night

would style sheets help me with alignment?

-chris

(ps. reputation for all once i get around to it!)

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
update....fixed alignment issues.... <td width="511" rowspan="4" align="top" etc....>

-chris

V

vtupser

To align things in with table tags, you need attributes valign='top' and align='center'. Depending on who you want viewing the website, IE for PC's (which is the main browser used by most people) does not cooperate with CSS very well (it pretty much sucks). So if you want your site to work properly on all computers, I suggest sticking with tables.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.