Flash issue fault of Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ipod classic, Aluminum MacBook.
I just upgraded to snow leopard about a week ago. Today I decided to make a new ringtone on the phonezoo website, but I seem to be having issues with the flash interface that I never had before upgrading.

For those of you not familiar with phonezoo, you upload a song, and it brings you to a page like the one in the picture below. you can then drag the orange marker to shadow an area of the song you want to cut/edit, etc. you can drag the marker to ma it shadow an area up to 30 seconds in length. When you're done, you just save it to your phone zoo account and can either download the file to your computer, or send it to your phone.

The issue that I am having is that when i click on the marker to make it longer or try and drag it to another part of the song, it grabs it for about a second or less and then lets go, even though I haven't released the trackpad.

needless to say, it's making it too difficult to create ringtones.

Does anyone think this has to do with my upgrade to snow leopard?

flashprob.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just upgraded to snow leopard about a week ago. Today I decided to make a new ringtone on the phonezoo website, but I seem to be having issues with the flash interface that I never had before upgrading.

<snip>

The issue that I am having is that when i click on the marker to make it longer or try and drag it to another part of the song, it grabs it for about a second or less and then lets go, even though I haven't released the trackpad.

needless to say, it's making it too difficult to create ringtones.

Does anyone think this has to do with my upgrade to snow leopard?

There's always that offchance. There's a couple things to try checking out. First, be sure you have the latest update to Flash. There has been an update since Snow Leopard was released. Or more accurately... Snow Leopard shipped with an older version of Flash and may have downgraded you.

If you are using a custom mouse manager like USB Overdrive or Steermouse, make sure you have the latest updates.

You can also try running Safari in 32-bit mode. To do so, right-click on the Safari app, select Get Info, and check the option to run in 32-bit mode. If this doesn't work, try Firefox.

Failing all that, try creating a new user account on your Mac, log into that, and try using that website and see if you are more successful.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you've updated to 10.6.1, Flash has been updated for you so you can rule out the problem being linked to an older Flash plugin if you've updated.

What browser are you using?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think your issue is with the trackpad and 10.6 and not flash. I just signed up there and tried it in 10.6.1 Snow Leopard on my Intel Mac Mini using a Mouse. It worked faultlessly. I could click and move it anywhere in the track I wanted as well as drag the ends where I wanted. It stayed selected and moving as long as I held down the left button.

There was a thread here about the Trackpad letting go after a second while doing something since 10.6. I will try and find that and post a URL. Do you have an external Mouse you could plug in and try it?

OP
AmbientEternity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ipod classic, Aluminum MacBook.
Thanks for the info guys!

I updated my OS to 10.6.1, and my flash player separately.

It works fine in safari running 32 bit mode, but my firefox is still having an issue. I tried the external mouse to no avail. Is there a way to run firefox in 32 bit mode as well?

I'm happy I can use it in safari now, but it'd be nice if it could work in firefox too :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a strange issue for sure!

Firefox at this point is a 32Bit Application under OSX so that will not work with it since it's already running that way.

When I did the test on 10.6.1 and my Intel Mini I used Safari in 64-Bit mode.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it runs in both 32-bit and 64-bit Safari, it's got to do with the browser if it continues not to work in Firefox. Have you tried any other browsers such as Opera or one of the Chromium nightlies (simply for testing purposes)? If it works with those browsers (or at least one of them), I think we can narrow it down to something that is wrong with Firefox.

dtravis7 is correct about Firefox and 32-bit execution. I can't find the thread right now but Mozilla has a thread in their bug tracker about the progress made towards building a 64-bit build of Firefox for OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.