Cleaing your MacBook Pro LCD

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Mac users!

I bought a new MacBook Pro a couple of months ago. I have a question to ask. What is the best and safest way to clean my LCD without harming it? The display is all smudgy and full of greasy fingerprints. :Oops: Is there a liquid or some sort of product that is perfect for this type of problem? Most of the ordinary cleaning stuff like water leaves stains that are difficult to remove. Can you please point me to some advice?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Everyone must be deciding to clean their screen all of a sudden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, this is like the third thread in the last hour lol. Also, it's not an LCD in the macbook pro. It's an LED if you bought a new macbook pro a couple of months ago, and believe me, it makes all the difference in the world. Maybe not to how to clean it, but to how it looks, sure.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yea, this is like the third thread in the last hour lol. Also, it's not an LCD in the macbook pro. It's an LED if you bought a new macbook pro a couple of months ago, and believe me, it makes all the difference in the world. Maybe not to how to clean it, but to how it looks, sure.

There's a difference between an LED display and an LCD display with LED backlighting.

Typically what is referred to as an LED display is one that uses OLED (Organic LED) technology. No Macs use LED displays at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh sweet. Good to know. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh sweet. Good to know. :)

Strike that, I'm wrong.

The topic actually came up with a coworker the other day and he argued that the new crop of "LED TVs" were actually using OLED displays. But looking at Wikipedia, apparently he was wrong.

So, what the TV manufacturers are referring to is LED-backlit LCD displays. And you're right :) Sorry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You totally owe me some rep, G! Hehe.

edit: HAH! I said that, but you had already given me rep way earlier! looks like I owe you!

OP
I
Reaction score
Cleaning your MacBook Pro

Hi!

I was wondering what is the best way to clean my MacBook Pro? My LCD is all smudgy. Is there a liquid or some sort of a product that I could use to clean my LCD? (For example I tried water and it leaves horrible stains...)

I hope somebody can help me out.

Thanx :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The best way to clean it is to not let it get all smudgy. Don't touch it with your fingers, don't eat in front of it, and don't let your dog lick it.

Since it's too late for that in your case, you can buy special cleaners (iKlear) at computer stores (Apple Store, Frys, Microcenter, Best Buy if you must, or online) for LCDs.

You can try other cleaners at your own risk. Apple warns against alcohol and acetone, and I would also avoid ammonia (including Windex.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note: Merged redundant threads. Please use the search feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.