Airport not in Menu Bar??

M

Mesaman

I have installed two airport cards ( I thougth the 1st one was defective so I sent it back ) but I still can't get the Airport to appear in the menu bar. I know the network is working becuase there are two other macs using it.

I am using OS 10.3.2

Also is may be unrelated but when I access "About this Mac" from the menu bar I can only access the Software Update tab, as the More Info tab is grey'd out. Is this serious??

OP
M

meltbanana314

go to the Apple Menu - click System Preferences - Network - AirPort - Configure - click "show status in menu bar"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
meltbanana314 said:
go to the Apple Menu - click System Preferences - Network - AirPort - Configure - click "show status in menu bar"

thats it!
-chris

OP
S

sonofapplepm

Try this..finder>applications>internet connect.. you can then click on airport..towards the bottom will be a box that can be checked with the words show airport status in menu bar.

Josh

EDIT: They beat me again! Good work guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am glad to see that you got your problem solved.

OP
M

Mesaman

Thanks but the problem isn't solved !

I gave both those ideas a try and neither worked.

When I go to Sys Prefs > Network > then I see Location: Airport
Show: Internal Modem or Built in Ethernet

On my other Mac's when I go to Sys prefs>Network>Location:automatic and Airport is an option but not on the G4 I'm trying to make work.

Can someone PLEASE help me.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
hmmm...my guess is that it is working but not installed 100% properly...did it come with any install disks or anything?? maybe updating to 10.3.8 will help you out

-chris

OP
J

Jefe3223

well, about the grey'd out part, that's run by a utility called system profiler. Make sure you have that in your system preferences. As for the network, are you telling me that under "system pref."->"network"->the show tab, that it DOES NOT give you an option to select show?

OP
S

sonofapplepm

There are two different airport cards. Airport extreme and just plain airport. I think,but don't quote me, that some G4's use plain airport cards while later one's use the extreme card. Are you sure it is the right type and that it is seated correctly. Knowing what exact model laptop you have can help us!

OP
M

Mesaman

coach_z said:
hmmm...my guess is that it is working but not installed 100% properly...did it come with any install disks or anything?? maybe updating to 10.3.8 will help you out

-chris

Chris,

I believe I have installed it correctly, afterall there is but one way for it to fit
into the slot and then connect to the antenna. Do you think there is any connection between this problem and the issue I mentioned earlier re: About This Mac?

OP
M

Mesaman

Jefe3223 said:
well, about the grey'd out part, that's run by a utility called system profiler. Make sure you have that in your system preferences. As for the network, are you telling me that under "system pref."->"network"->the show tab, that it DOES NOT give you an option to select show?

No what I meant was that when I open the Network window there are two red lights on the left. One is Internal Modem and the other Built-in Ethernet. On my other computer there's a third 'option' which is Airport. But on this machine it doesn't show up ???

OP
S

sonofapplepm

On my G3 iBook the side of the airport card that says airport goes down. The side with the serial number goes up. Is this how yours is installed? When you go to the network page in system prefs... Near the top it will say location, then underneath that it says show. Click on the arrow by show to pull up the drop down menu. You should see an option that says network port configuration. Select that, you should see ethernet, internal modem and airport with boxes next to them . Airport must me checked!

OP
M

Mesaman

sonofapplepm said:
On my G3 iBook the side of the airport card that says airport goes down. The side with the serial number goes up. Is this how yours is installed? When you go to the network page in system prefs... Near the top it will say location, then underneath that it says show. Click on the arrow by show to pull up the drop down menu. You should see an option that says network port configuration. Select that, you should see ethernet, internal modem and airport with boxes next to them . Airport must me checked!

I have checked and I did install it with the serial # side up.
I looked at Sys Pref>Network>Location>but the only two options are Internal Modem and Bulit-in Ethernet. Airport does not show up??

OP
S

sonofapplepm

SystemPref>Network>Show>Network Port Configuration. Check to make sure the Aiport box is checked. Show is right underneath the Location spot.

EDIT: have you gotten to a screen that looks like this?

Picture 1.jpg

OP
J

Jefe3223

well I'm frustrated. hahaha (i'm sure not as much as you). last ditch effort=bring somewhere to get it looked at or hook up to the internet via cable and call apple and have them take a look at your computer over the web....I'm sorry I can't figure this one out.

OP
M

Mesaman

sonofapplepm said:
SystemPref>Network>Show>Network Port Configuration. Check to make sure the Aiport box is checked. Show is right underneath the Location spot.

EDIT: have you gotten to a screen that looks like this?

I have however Airport does not appear at all ????

OP
M

Mesaman

I have gotten to that screen however the only two options that appear are
Internal Modem and Built-in Ethernet

OP
S

sonofapplepm

Sorry, but I'm officially stumped! Maybe a problem with the G4 itself!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.