Spinning wheel of death on G4

Reaction score
Hello

I got a 1.5Ghz G4 with 100g hard drive and 768 RAM. I recently nearly filled the hard drive so took some stuff off and its now at about 93g. But nearly everything I try and do gives me the spinning wheel of death. I've checked the activity monitor and everything looks fine - I got about 450m memory in use and 4g virtual memory.

Any clues? Thought maybe I need to clear some more stuff off or buy more RAM but doesnt seem to make sense from what activity monitor is telling me.

Thanks
K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Run a hardware test to check the ram, and run disk utility from the install disc to verify permissions and the HD.
Often moving stuff can mess with permissions etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The drive is much too full. A drive requires some 15% free space in order to work anywhere near efficiently. Do as Kevriano suggests first up and then download a little utility called AppTrap version 1.1.3 for Leopard, 1.0.5 for Tiger as you do not say what OS you are using.

When you drag excess files to the trash, AppTRrap will also remove associated preferences etc. cleaning up some free space. You really do need a much larger HDD. Say 250GB and then pop the current drive into an external case for backups.

AppTrap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The drive is much too full. A drive requires some 15% free space in order to work anywhere near efficiently. Do as Kevriano suggests first up and then download a little utility called AppTrap version 1.1.3 for Leopard, 1.0.5 for Tiger as you do not say what OS you are using.

When you drag excess files to the trash, AppTRrap will also remove associated preferences etc. cleaning up some free space. You really do need a much larger HDD. Say 250GB and then pop the current drive into an external case for backups.

AppTrap

That's useful, I didn't know about that. Cheers Harry.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Hardware test showed everything fine and repaired a couple of permissions in disk utility. And thats really helped. AppTrap I guess is just for future deletings but I have it now.

Am too broke for an external hard drive so I'm gonna start shifting those movies to CD. Backups.. hmm.

Anyway the main thing is space is the issue not memory. Have fallen back in love with my Mac. I hated swearing at it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Swearing at your Mac you naughty boy/girl! Get you disbarred from the Mac lovers association pronto!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.