New to macs! iPhoto, iTunes and my Time Capsule... Originizing Everything!

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just got into the Mac scene, finally was able to buy one (wife gave the OK!) but I work as an electronics store so I know how the basics of the mac OSX works.

I got a Mac Mini to connect to my living room TV (Sony 46" XBR4) and my sound system (Yamaha HTR-6180 with Klipsch Quintet SL's) and I want to use it as an HTPC equivalent for iTunes/Pictures/Video's/Video Conferencing/and potentially photo editing (I picked up a copy of aperture 2).

My first question is this: I have a home network with 2 other PC's (My Dell Mini 10v and my main desktop in my office) along with my PS3/360 in my living room that my Mini's in. I'd like to network all of it together. I'm VERY PC competent, not so much however on Macs, so how would I go around file sharing throughout all the computers if possible?

2nd: Asuming the previous question isn't possible, I also bought a Time Machine a few months back mainly becuase A: I got a good deal on it B: I've run out of 2.25TB of hard drive space on my PC so I moved a lot of my pictures, music, and video's from my camcorder onto the time capsule (the more important files) for storage sharing amonst my PC's. How can I set iPhoto/iTunes to NOT import files into the mac mini's petty hard drive (120GB) and stream off my Time Capsule?

3rd: What cool things can I do with my mini :)

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You can set iPhoto and iTunes's libraries to different locations, including the external.. But if something goes wrong with your network, you are screwed.

Then, I would recommend putting aliases to the iPhoto/iTunes libraries' folders in their original folders, so it's easier to access them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.