hard drive not spinning--can data be recovered?

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but my hard drive stopped spinning (according to the place I took it to in Brooklyn). I just sent it off to Drive savers--hadn't backed up in about 8 mos. Loads of videos that can't be replaced. Anyone used Drive savers or in the same situation and recovered data? I won't hear back from them for a week and I'm freaking out!

Any advice appreciated!!
K

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's rare that a drive won't spin at all. But even if it isn't, that won't matter to Drive Savers. They'll pull the platters out and use their custom machinery to recover the data. The only problem is the cost - you're probably looking at hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for the recovery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't seen a "no spin up" drive for ages. At least not since the old Seagate RLL drives had the "sticktion" problem way back when. And you could get them to spin up after a hour or so in the fridge and a whack on the side!

The old days were fun. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
you can always try the freezer trick... And see if it starts up again... I'm not kidding!!! If you put it in a ziplock freezer back so no moisture can get in, leave it in the freezer overnight and take it out in the morning it might work. I don't know why and in no way shape or form and I kidding but I personally have tried it and it actually works. Aside from that you can have a company try to recover data. But like cwa107 said they will charge you hundreds if not thousands of dollars to recover it. Best of luck!!

OP
K
Reaction score
Wish I'd tried the freezer trick but I took it to a local place and they recommended I send it to drive savers. Still haven't heard back from them...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, hang on to your hat and teeth when you get the estimate back from Drive Savers. :Grimmace: They're masters at getting data off dead drives but they're expensive.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.