I can't partition my hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro ~ 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory, Leopard 10.5.8
Help! I can not partition any drive that is on my MacBook Pro or any external HDD. I have a 160 GB HDD that came standard on my notebook. I have 76.44 GB free on that disk. When I try to partition even 8 GB on my disk a message pops up and it says :

Partition Failed

Partition Failed with the error:

No space left on device

If there is a way to fix this, I will be super happy and thankful!

Ps: I have tried this on my Install disk as well and I receive the same error.

Mike Norby aka. Norbster

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro ~ 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory, Leopard 10.5.8
Thank you Harry,

In the link you provided, Instruction number 2 says
Create the new Solaris partition. Actually create a Windows partition and we will recreate a Solaris2 Partition later.
The problem with this, is that I am not able to create any partition. Mac, Windows, or even plain Free Space. And under that, it tells me to go to Netinfo Manager, but I do not have that application.

Do you have another suggestion?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you run Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Permissions in Disk Utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
What are the steps u r using to partition your HD? What OS? What app 4 partitioning? etc

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you run Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Permissions in Disk Utility?

CWA107, I ran all four while logged on the internal HDD and using the Install Disk.

What are the steps u r using to partition your HD? What OS? What app 4 partitioning? etc

Collin, I Am using the Disk Utility that comes standard on every Mac. I am using Leopard 10.5.8. I am going to Disk Utility, Click on my HDD and then on Partition. I then click on the '+' sign at the bottom, Click on the new partition space, then click in the Size box, enter 8 and hit enter. I then click on Apply. It does the whole 'Modifying partition map' and after a minute or so, a message pops up saying that there is no space left on device.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just out of curiosity are you doing this while you are in OSX?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just out of curiosity are you doing this while you are in OSX?

I have done it while in OSX and while using the Install Disk. I did this on the Install Disk not 20 minutes ago and I get the same message.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. My next step would be to do a filesystem repair.

Start your Mac in Single User Mode (press and hold Command+S at startup). Once at the command prompt, type:

/sbin/fsck -f

...then press Return. If no errors are corrected, simply type exit. If there are, run it again until it returns no errors.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that the same as Verify/Repair Disk Permissions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. It's a lot more thorough.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'll do it now and see what it says. How long does it normally take?

Edit: I was not able to do this. Is there a way to start-up in Single User mode going through Terminal?

Edit 2: Found out I had to turn off the Firmware Password Utility. Ok, so I logged in under the Single User Mode, typed in what I had to, but it came back with no problems. What do I do now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.