• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

CD-R to imac

Reaction score
This is my first post so I hope this is in the right place. In about two weeks I am going to buy an imac24 all-in-one desktop. I am kinda new to all this computer stuff and this will be my first apple computer. Anyway my question is this, I have vacation footage and family videos saved on cd-r and cd-rw disc how do i get this off the disc and on to my new imac? I don't have any of it saved in my pc it is all on disc but would like to get it on my imac now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum - when u insert the disc into the iMac it will pop up a window and ask if u would like to import them. Just that difficult. Some good videos here for switchers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's the same process as you would experience on your Windows machine. Simply insert the disc and copy over by either selecting the files, pushing Command-C (copy) and Command-P (paste) in the destination folder or selecting the files, right clicking, "Copy x items" (x will become a number that denotes how much is selected) and "Paste Items" in the destination directory.

This is assuming of course that the files on the disc are ones that you simply burned as data and not as some special format such as VCD. How did you burn the files to the CDs?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank guys! I was really worried about it. I am really new to all this computer stuff, for real. I really don't know what format I just "right clicked" and saved. Sorry i cant be more specfic. I has been several months back when I did it. Thanks and I may have to check back if i have problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Vansmith,

It is also assuming the files are compatible with the Mac software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thank guys! I was really worried about it. I am really new to all this computer stuff, for real. I really don't know what format I just "right clicked" and saved. Sorry i cant be more specfic. I has been several months back when I did it. Thanks and I may have to check back if i have problems.
It sounds like you used Windows built in burning. Did you use Windows to burn the discs or did you use a program like Nero?

Vansmith,

It is also assuming the files are compatible with the Mac software.
Very good point. To the OP, what format are the files? WMV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Do they have DRM (Digital Rights Management encryption) applied to them?

OP
B
Reaction score
I dont think so. I just took them from my camera and loaded them on my computer which has vista and then copied them to a disc.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont think so. I just took them from my camera and loaded them on my computer which has vista and then copied them to a disc.
If the files are indeed WMV files, you will need to install codecs, specifically flip4mac, as QuickTime does not have native support for Windows Media. As of right now, I don't believe flip4mac supports QuickTime X (I could be wrong - correction needed?) so you might have to wait to watch them unless you install QuickTime 7 and install the current version of flip4mac. None of this will affect you moving the files to your new machine though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As of right now, I don't believe flip4mac supports QuickTime X (I could be wrong - correction needed?)...

Correct. QuickTime X does not have plug-in support right now. So he'll have to install QuickTime Player 7 and then Flip4Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the help. I am sure I will be back with more questions when I get the imac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.