OS 9.2 extensions mgr disabled, will not enable after restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Quicksilver OS 9.2 with ProTools 5.1.3
When booting my G4 Mac w/ OS 9.2, during startup a message saying "extension off" comes on the screen while everything is loading. I go into control panel, then into extensions manager and toggle "on" to each "Extension", "shutdown", "startup" and "systems extension". Sometimes it will not give me the option of "restart".

Thus, when I double click on an alias (lets us ProTools), it doesn't launch. It gives me an error saying "OTutilityLIB not found". Thus, the extensions manager "on" options do not seem to be recognized as "on. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its been a while since I have used OS 9 and Extension Manager

Could be corrupt preferences, try deleting the prefs file for Extension Manager, manually re-instating your needed extensions from the Extensions (dis) folder and restarting

Extensions Manager should be able to manage properly from then on

Also do any extensions load on start-up, do you see some loading at the bottom of the screen on start-up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Seem to recall one could install a new system folder from install disk and it would rename the old one in case there was stuff in it that you needed.
Might be a good time to 'Bite the Bullet' and upgrade to Tiger. You could back up - erase the HD and include install of Sys 9 drivers then install Tiger but still have the ability to boot into Classic if u need to.

Reaction score
Its been a while since I have used OS 9 and Extension Manager

Could be corrupt preferences, try deleting the prefs file for Extension Manager, manually re-instating your needed extensions from the Extensions (dis) folder and restarting

Extensions Manager should be able to manage properly from then on

Also do any extensions load on start-up, do you see some loading at the bottom of the screen on start-up?

Sounds like corrupt preferences or the system itself, B tree problems. If you do a clean reinstall you get a new system folder and can move any third party extensions to it. If you had Nortons system tools you could fix the registery.

Try to rebuild the desktop. Restart and hold down the apple/option keys until you get a message asking if you want to rebuild the desktop.

Also if the shift key is stuck or held down during start up that will turn off extensions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.