Mid '07 iMac slow and unresponsive

Reaction score
My mid 07 iMac was working perfectly and then out of no where became incredibly slow and at periods totally unresponsive. It would take upwards of 15 minutes to start-up and programs ran so slow it was near impossible to even use. I ran disk utility, repaired, ran techtools, everything was fine, so i guessed that i had some sort of virus but my computer was so slow i couldnt run any type of scan. I decided to wipe my hard drive and reinstall os x but my computer is still painfully slow and can take several minutes to run the simplest processes. Anyone have any ideas? DO i have a hardware problem or is there something i can do software related?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My mid 07 iMac was working perfectly and then out of no where became incredibly slow and at periods totally unresponsive. It would take upwards of 15 minutes to start-up and programs ran so slow it was near impossible to even use. I ran disk utility, repaired, ran techtools, everything was fine, so i guessed that i had some sort of virus but my computer was so slow i couldnt run any type of scan. I decided to wipe my hard drive and reinstall os x but my computer is still painfully slow and can take several minutes to run the simplest processes. Anyone have any ideas? DO i have a hardware problem or is there something i can do software related?

This sounds like a very strange issue...especially considering that you wiped the hard drive & reinstalled the OS.

Did you:

- Use the disks that came with the iMac to do the install?
- What OS version did you reinstall?
- If you didn't use the disks that came with your computer, what did you use?...Grey/silver colored disks from a different computer...or retail disks (not grey colored usually black).

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
This sounds like a very strange issue...especially considering that you wiped the hard drive & reinstalled the OS.

- Nick

You think it could be the PS. Not enough juice to the board. The IDE controller gone bad. Ive seen this in PC's with cooked processors.

Hey Boxmonster...If you boot with an OS install disc is it fast or slow to the installer window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo 2Gb RAM 160Gb HDD
Check Activity Monitor

I had a problem with similar symptoms a few months back. About 5 mins after turning on, everything would run incredibly slow and jam as well. I checked activity monitor and found that the process syncservices was for some reason eating up all available RAM every time it started up.

My initial solution was to make an automator action to kill it every time the computer started, at the time I didnt need iSync so it wasnt a problem. However I eventually got the time to go into the mac store to get help with it. The first thing we tried was an archive reinstall (Leopard). This was unsuccessful but a quick delete of the pref files and a restart sorted the problem just fine.

So my suggestion is, check activity monitor to see if you have a rogue app thats stealing RAM / Processor Power and try to deal with that app, either by re-installing or wiping it's pref files....

Hope thats of some help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You think it could be the PS. Not enough juice to the board.

It would be a shame if the power supply on a 2007 computer went bad already.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
It would be a shame if the power supply on a 2007 computer went bad already.:(

- Nick

You got that right.... He wiped the drive that would have cleared out any rouge apps sucking up memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
I had exactly the same problem with my MacBook!
The only cure is replacing the hard drive(s) completely.
There is no other way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
It becomes slow like that due to a drastic change in configurations (sometimes) or an error in the way in which the HDD and CPU register RAM and utilize it.
DO NOT SKIMP ON BUYING A NEW DRIVE!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.