What's Your Storage Strategy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo 2Gb RAM 160Gb HDD
Hi all, this is a rather ambiguous post and I decided that this was the best part of the forum to place it in. I'm happy to move it if people feel its best placed elsewhere....

Anyways,

I currently have a Macbook laptop which I use for Uni work, Music, TV, Photos and converting DVD's to Ipod format. The Ipod movies are stored on an External 500GB HDD along with the laptops time machine Backup and some old Windows Software for my dad's laptop.

In the next 3 months or so I will be buying an imac for my room to replace the old PC which is now dead. The thing I cant decide on though is what storage strategy / backup strategy to set up...

Option 1:

imac: stores all music, videos, TV Recordings & Photos, as well as any Final Cut projects and scratch footage I have.

2Tb Time Capsule:Stores Back up of the imac and my Macbook - which would contain my uni work.

The imac would have a media sharing account to let the macbook get at the photos and videos if needed. Itunes media sharing would be active on the imac too.

The macbook would have a Uni account that allowed the Imac to get at uni files if im making presentations which benefit from 2 screens or more processing power....

Option 2:
Same as above, but replace Time capsule with Airport Extreme and an Icy Box 3.5" HDD Enclosure, with 2x1.5tb HDD's. This is cheaper than a 2Tb Time Capsule by around £65.

Option 3:
Store all music, video & Tv, photos etc on one of the HDD's in the icy box, and backup to the 2nd.

Access these files from the iMac and Macbook as needed. With frequent computer backups also going to the 2nd HDD in the icy box.

It would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks about these proposed setups, as well as hearing about setups that people currently use for storing files in a way that keeps them backed up whilst allowing them to be available on a network.

If anyone has any other possible setups that would work in the price range of a 2TB time capsule then it'd would be great to hear about them too!!

Cheers :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.