Two on One - FCxpress and Final Cut Studio

Reaction score
I have a 2.8Ghz intel dual core iMac with OSX 10.5.8 running leopard.
Transferred from PCs last year and have been editing video on Final CutXpress.
Now I want to buy and learn the new Final Cut Studio package on the same machine without loosing anything from my FCXpress set up including settings and material. Is this possible? Can I have these two programmes running independantly on the mac? Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yup, no problem. The two programs are completely independent of each other. FCE has its plist files, its own scratch folders, etc. and when you put in FCS, and launch the relative programs they will create their own scratch folders and their own plist files in a separate location from the FCE related things.

I have FCE and FCS on my main mac pro at home, and in all honesty - it was an important separation for me as I had several projects running in FCE at the time, but really wanted/needed to use DVD Studio Pro. I still use FCE for some things that I don't feel I need FCP for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.