external hdd fat32 to ntfs on a macbook

Reaction score
Hi

i have a little problem with my external hdd 1 tb fat32 , i have a macbook 10.4.
As we know fat32 is limited to a 4 gb singlefile, and that is my problem.
i want to save bluray movies and other stuff on my hdd, and watch it on my new tv witch has a usb input and a media player integrated (but it only accept fat32 or ntfs)

so i have read a lot and i want to try NTFS-3G to read and write on a ntfc.

so now i want to format my hdd fat32 to a ntfs, but i only have a macbook,
is there a possibility to do this?
because i cant find the option ntfs in disk utility.

hope you can help me i'm trying to find a solution for the last 3 days.

edit:

another question just came in my head do you think this will actually work because my tv only accept fat32 and ntfs, and ntfs-3g is again another format

what do you think???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, in order to reformat your drive to NTFS you will need either a PC with Windows or have Windows loaded on your Mac. Disk Utility has no way to format a drive to NTFS as it is a Microsoft proprietary file system.

If you're concerned about being able to read and write to NTFS from your Mac, I do not recommend NTFS-3G. Some folks swear by it, but it's still prone to errors and with a drive that large I wouldn't trust it. My recommendation is to purchase the "Paragon NTFS" driver set from Paragon Software which includes a driver for your Mac and also one for Windows to go the other way.

Note however, that the current version is not compatible with Snow Leopard. But Paragon has a beta for download that is compatible and will soon have a final version for release.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
hi thanks for your answer
i went to a friend to format my hdd to ntsf under xp.
i had the 3g driver and it worked good, but i want to have it save so i tried the paragon and i it much faster than the 3g. so i decide to stick with the paragon.

Thanks a lot bye

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.