Upgrading RAM

Reaction score
I have an older model macbook. I purchased it in early 2007 and i know I've heard that i can't support more than 2gigs of ram. I was wondering if there is anyway i could get it to run 4gigs of ram or would i have to replace the logic board to do that? I can get any info about my macbook if you need.

Sorry if this is a repeat, i couldnt find anything in the search.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an older model macbook. I purchased it in early 2007 and i know I've heard that i can't support more than 2gigs of ram. I was wondering if there is anyway i could get it to run 4gigs of ram or would i have to replace the logic board to do that? I can get any info about my macbook if you need.

Sorry if this is a repeat, i couldnt find anything in the search.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

It would help if you posted your processor speed to better identify the MacBook Model you have...but if I was to guess...this would be your computer:

Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" (White/06) Specs (Late 2006 - MA700LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

And although Apple says it has a max. ram limit of 2 gigs...other folks have successfully installed 4 gigs...but it only utilizes 3 gigs.

Of course your next question is going to be..."What do you mean I can install 4 gigs of ram...but it only utilizes 3 gigs?";)

Here's the answer/explanation:

Why are the MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" models limited to 3 GB of memory? If I install dual 2 GB modules, why won't I be able to use 4 GB of RAM? @ EveryMac.com

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow you are good! hahah

Yes that is my macbook. I just updated the hd and the disk drive later on and the ram from apple to 2gigs. So basically what that article is saying is if i would go the route and put two 2gb rams in my mac it would read that there are four but it would only use three?

Would that make any kind of significant difference between 2gigs and 3gigs? Should i go up to 4gigs or could i do something like this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 3GB (2GB + 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Memory For Apple Notebook Model FA-5300CL5D-3GBSQ Since its only going to use a max of 3gigs anyway?

I know when i upgraded my hd i upgraded the space and the speed and i could tell a noticable difference going from 5400rpm up to 7200rpms. My programs loaded much faster.

So do you think i should save my money for something else or upgrade the ram?

And if so what would be the best type of ram to get? I would probably look on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!.

Thanks,
Jeremy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So do you think i should save my money for something else or upgrade the ram?

Having enough ram allows you to open multiple programs or use one large ram hungry program. If you open too many programs, then there isn't enough ram for any one program to run at it's fastest.

To see how your computer is doing:

- open the program or programs you usually work with (for example maybe you have iTunes, Safari, and e-mail open at the same time)
- open "Activity Monitor" in the utilities folder
- click on the "System Memory" section of Activity Monitor
- see how your ram is distributed, looking at the "green"/"free" segment

You could read this as well:

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

If you have plenty of "green" available...you probably don't need a ram upgrade. More ram will only make that "green" area larger...and it won't speed anything up.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
ngq43p.jpg

Thats what activity monitor says. its about half between used and free so I'm guessing updating my ram would be basically pointless? hahah

Thanks,
Jeremy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thats what activity monitor says. its about half between used and free so I'm guessing updating my ram would be basically pointless? hahah

Thanks,
Jeremy

Your image didn't show up...but I'm guessing by what you said that you have a lot of "green" area...and if so, I would agree that a ram upgrade would probably just make your wallet thinner!;)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
There we go!

And yeah i believe so too, just take a quick look and see what you think but im pretty sure im reading it right.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There we go!

And yeah i believe so too, just take a quick look and see what you think but im pretty sure im reading it right.

Yes that's better!:)

It looks like you simultaneously have open:

- MS Word
- Mail
- iChat
- iTunes
- Activity Monitor
- and I'm assuming Safari

...maybe more I couldn't see the entire list.

Of course if you opened up every program you have you could easily wipe out the whole green area...and then your computer would really slow down.

So the lesson here is don't have any unnecessary programs open if you're not using them...so you have more ram available for the programs you are using.

Now obviously if you launched all the programs you needed...and you had very little "green" area...then I would say upgrade the ram. But things seems to be ok as they are currently.

But now you know that if you did need more ram...it can be upgraded some beyond the "official" Apple 2 gig max.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
what recommendation?

Very useful thread, many thanks!

What RAM upgrade would you recommend for a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What RAM upgrade would you recommend for a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ?

Depends on how much ram you have currently.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
So i am guessing that 2 gb is the "norm" and 4 gb is the everday advantage user and anything more is for hardcore users. Plus the fact that going over 4 gigs is expensive..................

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So i am guessing that 2 gb is the "norm" and 4 gb is the everday advantage user and anything more is for hardcore users. Plus the fact that going over 4 gigs is expensive..................

I would say that's a pretty good way of putting it!

I might even say:

- 1 gig for the average user
- 2 gig for the advanced user
- 4 gig for the power user
- 8 gig for the guys with too much money!!!;)

IMHO...I think most people are using their computers for internet surfing, e-mail, and iTunes. And 1 gig is plenty for this.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I would say that's a pretty good way of putting it!

I might even say:

- 1 gig for the average user
- 2 gig for the advanced user
- 4 gig for the power user
- 8 gig for the guys with too much money!!!;)

IMHO...I think most people are using their computers for internet surfing, e-mail, and iTunes. And 1 gig is plenty for this.

- Nick

ROFFLROPOFL at the 8 gigs part hahhaah. It is sp true though. I am fine with only 2 gigs. everything is smooth and fast. However just in case I upgraded and want everything to run as best as possible. I beleieve at 4 gigs of ram and 500gb 7200rpm HD your set. IF NOT, then get a 17" with the highest processor speed and ram. You will be at 4K plus......

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ROFFLROPOFL at the 8 gigs part hahhaah. It is sp true though. I am fine with only 2 gigs. everything is smooth and fast. However just in case I upgraded and want everything to run as best as possible. I beleieve at 4 gigs of ram and 500gb 7200rpm HD your set.

I certainly wouldn't give anyone a real hard time if they wanted to upgrade to 4 gig of ram. It's not very expensive to do it.

But if someone was:

- on a tight budget
- mistakenly thought that the ram would speed up their computer,
- and if all they did was surf the internet & did e-mail (which 1 gig is fine for)

...then I would mention these things this just in case.:)

Yes...getting 8 gigs is for the RICH guys!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Depends on how much ram you have currently.

- Nick
2 Gb at the moment. I'm running a lot of photo editing applications (20 Mgb shots) and things just seem clogged up at times. I am also very near to full capacity on my hard drive and don't know if this has anything to do with it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.