is Mac "considered" a PC?

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation
Actually, 1984. Before that, there was no Mac...

Technically the Mac IS a PC, but it is generally not considered to be one since it is not built specifically to run Windows (or Linux etc). The term PC has become a more or less generic term for anything that is specifically NOT a Mac. Many people, both on the Mac and Windows sides of the aisle, do not and would not consider a Mac to be a PC per-se, but that doesn't mean it's not.

oh i know Mac is NOTHING like windows. It in fact in my opinion is MUCH better, graphics, system, and overall expiriance. But I ment that question by Mac IS a personal computer. Meaning one uses this computer LIKE a Windows or a Linux...

I dont know WHY the term PC is ONLY used to define Windows. I really dont because my mac is a "PowerPC" XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Picking nits. They've advertised their computers as Personal Computers since the inception of the company, that culture hasn't changed. Then again, perhaps since I work in enterprise class stuff almost exclusively.. anything that isn't rack mounted, a frame of it's own, and can run on single phase electricity is 'personal' ;)

Call it what you like. The fact remains that the "Mac" while technically a PC doesn't generally fall under the term "PC" as used by the public by and large. Apples current advertising camping pits the Mac against the "PC", so they are obviously differentiating themselves from the rest of the industry by this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.